Emissions Question.

Hey,

Maybe someone can clear this up for me because I’ve read various posts/articles and I’m currently unclear on the situation. My car is 15+ years old, do I still need to have it E-tested? Reason why I ask is because i’ve read that with the 15year rule for importing, emissions testing wasn’t necessary.

Someone clear this up for me please.

Thanks,
J.

I thought it was 20yrs?

you still need to get emissions…my car is 17yrs old and i still need to do emissions on it

20+years for Domestic Market vehicles become exempt from Emissions testing, however they must retain all of their emissions components. If the police officer checks and it’s not there he can fine you. Taking out cats or EGR equipment is a violation of environmental bylaws for the entire life of the vehicle, but performance of those components are not tested after 20 years.

15years I believe only applies to cars that are imported. Not too sure about this one though

my dad got a $400 ticket in his 79 camaro for that, they made him show receipts for new emissions stuff and reduced the ticket to $50, but they didnt inspect the vehicle to see if he reinstalled the equipment. its the ministry of the environment, they drive luminas.

Must be 20 years on imports as well. I brought my sons 1990 ZX up from Ohio last summer, couldn’t put on road here until it passed all safety tests, AND the emissions test.