Engine building tools

So i have a tool allowance at work that i have $180 to spend before the new year or it goes to waste.

I need to refresh and or build my buick v6 (grand national engine). I plan to do it myself, most likely will pay a machine shop to clean the block and check it out.

But mainly im i interested in recommendations on what tools i need, im hoping i can buy something decent, better than harbor freight but not the best of the best since i wont do it often if more than a couple times probably in my life.

I was told to buy a mic set, dial/digital caliper, maybe a dial indicator with a magnetic base.

Any recommendations for these tools and or what i need to measure for bearings and everything?

Thx

yea, those are a good investment. I imagine it has to be new tools? There are lots of good deals on the high quality older tools.

You’ll also need a ring filer, feeler gauges, and piston installer. Make sure any measurement tool is accurate or it’s a waste.

1/4 electric impact/driver

Dial indicator like you said.

Valve spring height gauge, valve spring compressor, a puller set. $180 isn’t going to get you much.

Yeah im starting to thi k maybe ill just have the machinst put it together, at least the rotating assembly.

I’m starting think about picking up some tools again.

Have a good machinist do the short block assembly and spend the 180 bucks on a nice torque wrench to assemble the rest. To buy an accurate dial bore gauge/caliper/rod bolt stretch gauge/dial indicator etc will cost you more than it will just to have the machinist do the short block, so I’d spend the money on a tool that I will use more than once or twice.