Engine Dampeners

You know those enigine torque dampeners that look like a little shock? Is there any way to make up your own out of something else? Or a cheap place to get ahold of one? I know the valving wouldn’t be right but something like a hatch support thing would be quite similiar in theory.

And ya, I know, in THEORY communism works.

But seriously, what do you guys think?

I think diffrent engine mounts will be better and look cleaner.

I was thinking of using a solid mount on my Sil

Has anyone done a solid mount. And is it pretty shakie?

I have the bracket that bolts to the motor it came on my swap but I wouldnt mind figuring out how to make one.as for mounts they would work good but you will get alot of vibration.

If your engine is balanced properly you don’t get vibrations. I don’t get any and have solid aluminum mounts.

Not refering to engine mounts, I am referingt to torque dampeners.
They mount to the strut tower and engine head, and act like a sjock absorber and stop the engine from twisting as much when you rev it hard or drop the clutch.

If your engine is balanced properly you don’t get vibrations. I don’t get any and have solid aluminum mounts.[/quote]

Really I would have figured it would vibreate like a bitch I know any Honda I have been in with solid mounts was bad.

Actually they’re apparently very smooth, especially compared with Motor Mount Inserts.

I’ve seen a few of them around, but if you really think about it, you’re going to have to get a small shock absorber with a very high resistance, fabricate a custom bracket yourself, and figure out where you’re going to mount it. It would be much cheaper in time and money to just buy one that’s already been made - unless you want the experience of creating your own custom one.

Yeah, that’s true…
So where can you get one without spending a couple hundred?

I heard somewhere a hood strut from some z car in the 80’s works but i am not to sure which one. I am pretty sure i saw it on www.nicoclub.com

http://tinyurl.com/9ncxg

Found that one - surely there must be better deals out there though.

ebay has a shit load of them just check there.

ahem… this thread was posted last summer…

And in case anyone cares, Bings has them for like $100.