Ever hear this about MPG?

that with a new car your gas milage will be alittle better after the first 500-1000 miles, neon seems to be not getting the 25 city as advertised, and I drive it easy, not like you can drive it hard.

yeah its called break in

Yeah thats true… Hyundais are real bad at first then get alot better after like 2,000 miles.

I was under the assumption that all motors where tested, and broke in from the Factory, I understand the process, called" BREAK IN".

if it runs to the parking lot outside the factory and then to the tractor trailer.
then yes it was “tested”. Hand built motors are tested.
I’m sure thiers quality control. but not for the millions of neons rolling out the door.

give yourself about 5,000 miles. your mileage and power will go up. Just takes a while for some time for different motors to break in.

power I could care less about, 2.0, ya know, just the milage, they advertised 25/32, Mathematically its at 20-21 city, only has 300 miles on it am I asking to much lol.

You should beat on it. For about 200 mi. That should help. Change that break in oil at 500, then see.

You’ll probably never get the advertised mileage unless you drive it to the exact specifications in the EPA test method. That’s why they are considering changing the testing to better reflect real world driving.

very true. You will find out that alot of the testing methods for cars and appliances are very conservative.

thats the thing what specs are they testing it against. a city simulation with no hills, only stoping 2 times before your destination, or complete hills where ever you are going and 5165143 stop signs and lights. Like I said I drive it easy, but still am not seeing 25 mpg for the city, thing is I am going from munhall to station square, the back way so I have no traffic, but couple hills, which arent anything big? wonder if something is wrong!

After the first couple hundred miles the rings will seal better and mgp will improve.

Is it better to rev the fuck out of the engine and beat it for the first 1000 miles like Porsche says you can … or do what BMW suggests and only rev to about 4k for the first 1000 miles?

That always confused me.

Last year, the government regulations was for the vehicles to be tested at a whooping 48 mph in a straight line for highway MPG. So unless you live in Kansas and can stand going 48 mph on the highway, I doubt you will see your full mileage.

Haven’t read much recently but around 2000 at least the way city MPG was tested was on a specified dyno program that simulated traveling at various speeds under different loading conditions which simiulated hills and descents. I believe stops were also in there. Basically a dyno operator watched a computer screen which showed a tracing he had to follow for a certain amount of time. I think the new regulations are doing something very similar.

On the 5.slow the invoice sticker says 17/23

at 174,xxx it still got it. it gets better MPG now since its not working :booty:

thats cool stang gets 15/20 here

truck is only like 15/18 advertised and i get 20mpg combined with AC on

headers and upper lower will get better mpg.

fixing this rich condition down low will help also, not touching motor, not to 12s are seen

tranny will break first.