Every reason in the world NOT to street race

I do not want this post to open up existing wounds to some people on the board and I do not want this thread to turn into another speculation on what happened.

But here is the reality of what can happen if you street race.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/364510.html

Any takers?

Be smart this year because unfortunately this could happen to anyone of us.

good throw the book at him.

sorry but maybe that will teach people not to do over 100 on a public street racing.

And hopefully someone knowing the consequences that can come from it will make them think 2x

i thought they knew who the other driver was

i think i went to school with mark.

street racing :tdown:

i hope they throw him in jail.

Hence why I suggested the other driver not talk to the police without a lawyer.

When the article says, “The driver of the other vehicle has not been identified” it means they haven’t made it public. The police and the DA know who it is because he went in and talked to the police the day after the accident. You can bet the police have a record of EXACTLY what was said and now any of that can be used against the kid at trial.

Let this be two lessons kiddies.

1. Don’t street race.
  2. If you fuck up big don’t get legal advice from a car forum, get legal advice from a lawyer.

And before someone tries to point out some non-existing irony between me giving legal advice in #2 on a car forum, realize it’s not legal advice. It’s friendly advice suggesting you get your legal advice from someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about when advising on the law.

EDIT:
I can’t wait until Frank Clark is gone. There is no reason to leak this to the press until you’ve at least pressed charges. Then again, the Erie County district’s attorney’s office does have a good track record for convicting people, even innocent people, by trying cases in the media (Lynn Dejack, Anthony Cappozi).

wait. this kid is on nyspeeD?

I don’t think so, but I think in the original thread about the wreck someone on here knew the neon driver.

It was in the news right after the crash that the neon driver talked to the police.

Thats crazy. I feel for the family of the kid who died but come on, noone forced this kid to race, he deserves most of the responsibility. The other driver deserves some charges, but manslaughter come on.
The driver of the other car already has to live with this event in the back of his mind knowing he had some involvement. Suspend his license for 6months and give him a fine.

Oh and btw NEVER NEVER NEVER speak to the erie county DA’s office without your lawyer present, end of discussion. I’ve dealt with them a few times for stuff i wasnt even involved with, they suck. If they want to talk to you- Sure with a Subpoena and my lawyer Period!!!

Street racing = bad however Frank Clark is the worst thing to happen to this city.

“Lancaster police investigating the crash have determined that the two vehicles did not collide; there was no obvious mechanical failure with Harhigh’s vehicle; there have been no signs of alcohol or drug use; and Harhigh may have been unfamiliar with the standard shift of his vehicle, which he had had for only a couple of days.”

we sold the kid the car 2 days prior and it really screwed up the salesrep and the finance girl who did the paperwork. They both felt really guilty and still do because he wasn’t totally comfortable driving the car and they knew it. However it was his fault for street racing as well as the kid in the other car and no one else’s. They were both old enough to know the risks and they chose to do what they did. I’m glad they are charging him with manslaughter because the police need to crack down hard on street racing. These idiots who are street racing at ridiculous speeds need to to take it to the f%$&ing track and stop putting their lives in danger as well as people in other vehicles. Everyone takes off from a light quickly or does a pull now and then but to get to 120+mph on transit is utterly retarded. It will affect us all because the police will be alot tougher but I don’t mind because I like being able to go home to my wife alive.

I agree he didnt push his gas pedal down and force him into a pole, lets get real here!

:roll: so if you try to race someone and they make the decision to race you and they crash and die, YOU are responsible? BS.

Personally I don’t like the idea of the other party being charged with manslaughter, but legally I can see them at least putting it before a jury.

Ask yourself this, if it weren’t for the actions of the other driver would there have been a crash?

If you can put your personal feelings aside you can probably reason that had the other car not played along the race wouldn’t have happened. When you engage in an illegal activity with another person you open yourself up to a lot of legal consequences.

Best guess, it all comes down to jury selection. Get a jury full of people like Torqdss, people fed up with kids putting innocent lives at risk on public roads, and the DA might actually get a conviction. Get a jury who really wants to listen to the letter of the law and it’s tougher. Who knows. Regardless, best case senario the kid is going to be out a boatload of money in legal fees and still have to live with what happend the rest of his life.

Yea? So what if the people who died instigated the race?

yea…i was gonna say…its horrible that it happend and shouldnt have, but…i honestly dont think the other driver should be convicted of those charges…yea he raced them, but he didnt force him to race or clip the car and send it flying out of control…give him a fuckin reckless driving ticket, suspend his license for a while and have him take driving classes just to teach him a lesson…guaranteed he’s living with so much guilt on his mind right now as it is…

:word:

Likewise… unfortunately for this kid though i have a feeling they are going to try to make an example out of him which does not bode well for him. Obviously do SOMETHING to him, but he was not driving that car that crashed. I mean if he hit the mustang forcing it to crash, then yea thats an entirely different story but… :gotme: manslaughter is a bit extreme imho

In the eyes of the law does it matter?

I come to you and say lets rob a liquor store. It’ll be quick easy money, no one gets hurt etc etc. We walk in and I pull a gun and shoot the clerk. You’re now on the hook for murder.

Yes, very different circumstances, but this whole, “well I didn’t make him race/crash” arguement may hold up in court. You both decided to enter into an illegal activity together so legally you may be bound to the outcome.

Like I originally said though, I don’t agree with it. I’m much more for personal responsibility. I’m just saying IMHO based on the little bit I know about the law before changing majors in college that there are probably legal ground to make the charges. If that scares someone out of street racing today I’m glad I wasted my time making this point.

such bullshit im sorry. the other driver didnt “force” the kid who died race, he did it himself. i could see if the kid in the neon hit the kid and sent him into the poll but i doubt he did. i can see manslaughter if the kid in the mustang lived