evo IV or evo X??

I used to believe the same thing, not true though. A healthy 6spd is good for 450whp, and now they build 6spd’s.

In reality all Mitsu trans suck, poor synchros from the factory. The 5 spd is just as bad, their all notchy. You can always get it built.

It’s like how they say a stock Evo clutch is weak, when the truth is a healthy stock clutch has held up to power gains.

I love my VIII, and yeah the ACD is useless to me but it’s not that bad.

If there was a clean IX when I was looking, I would of been all over it :slight_smile:

^ Took me MONTHS to find a clean IX. I swear the FS section on evolutionm is sponsored by Vin Diesel

I agree lol. It’s one of those things you have to take your time with. Lot’s of research!

the mr transmission seems a lot smoother than a gsr/rs , plus you get one more gear to row :). if you’re not building some siq street monster i dont see why you would pick a gsr over an mr other than having a moonroof in the gsr

and viii ix are solid deck blocks, x is open deck.
Id personally rather have a ix, however for the price difference i would probably end up “settling” for an viii

ya im not sure, its really going to come down to which i can find at the right price, it seems like low mileage IX (someone change title please lol) are going for about the same price as a similar mileage X

i guess i just have to do a lot of research, id love to find an evo IX mr for under 20,000 with less than 40,000 miles

No it’s not, you don’t have to change anything. Just treat it like an 8 and you’re fine. A good tuner can mess with the mivec timing, but it’s not really needed.

is mivec similar to vtec? or similar to vvti?

Yup, I believe it is just the exhaust cam timing, but I haven’t messed with it much. I am pretty confident it is mostly for emissions reasons, and not power reasons. On the dyno, we were playing around with it, with little to no gains.

–mark

Yeah the MR has teflon coating in the shift linkage. Though mine is notchy, I’m glad I won’t be driving it this winter. I skip 2nd till the trans warms up.

I’ve noticed on downshifts mine doesn’t seem to like 4th, and first is iffy unless I pump the clutch. I still need to do a clutch alignment on it, though.

If your a DIYer it certainly adds to the confusion! I suppose you could leave it but from what I’ve experienced thus far with my evo, simplier is better.

Hence why I stand behind the point of getting an VIII. Less drivetrain nonsense. Don’t buy an MR either, yeah you get a “smooth” 6 speed. But you also are giving your car an expensive weak point AND chances are you could have a smooth 5 speed by simply changing fluid or buying the right clutch. Also the 6 speed doesn’t help your gas economy, it’s only like 100 rpm less at 65 than the 5 speed. Parts are cheaper as a whole for the 5 speed.

And relatively speaking, you get almost the same styling and interior quality between the VIII and IX. It’s up to you whether you want less or more on your car, because generally speaking they are pretty much the same car.

I just prefer the VIII because they’re cheaper in a lot of ways. There are benefits to getting a IX, just not enough for me to justify paying more of an evo tax.

Pics of said XI?

FU does it look like I’m roman?

Lol.

Edited

:slap:

Can you tell it’s close to quitting time for the weekend?! ahah

Either 5spd or 6spd is fine if its been taken car of and correct fluids used. Its more what you prefer to have with bolt-ons. But if u are drag racing the 5 speed is good seeing as less gears=more power band. But he’s looking for a DD so either will do.

If you want a less notchy shifting Evo trans, adjust your pedal, replace underhood/shifter base bushing and switch to equivlent weight castrol syntorq trans fluid.

well i am currently looking at an 06 MR with 26k miles, is there anything i should check out before i buy the car? i called mitsubishi and the car still has a valid warranty untill august of next year but I am pretty sure that is drivetrain only

would the MR be “the” car to get, it has navigation, leather and a moonroof

Afaik, the MR did not come with an option for a moonroof just an aluminum roof. They had the MR with leather and a sound system. And have not heard of a Evo 9 that came with navigation from the factory just the X’s.

I would give the dealer a call to see if the car was ever in for repairs and what they were.

Edit: As far as the MR being the car to get, that’s your preference. I have an MR, but do I think the additional things an MR comes with is worth the extra price? Not really.

You get the awesome looking lightweight BBS wheels, a tight Bilstein suspension, the same roof that an RS gets and the 6spd they also give you these corny 3 gauges.

what gauges? pics, and i guess i will double check the roof

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2010/9/2/269/664/17256711772.269664528.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

that looks like a roof, and according to the vin its an MR

Hmm no pics on my phone. But they give you, battery voltage, oil temp and a boost gauge that reads in kg/cm lol like we live in Japan.

I meant to tell you, the MR only comes with an aluminum roof like a RS. And no Evo IX MR came with leather, moonroof or navigation.

Are you positive it is a MR?

maybe its just a reflection?? who knows

interior
http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2010/9/2/269/664/17256711777.269664528.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

rear showing MR badge
http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2010/9/2/269/664/17256047231.269664528.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg