evo IV or evo X??

well i think ive narrowed my choice to getting an Evo as my next car, the motors seems to be pretty stout and are easily modified

now my decision is what generation, i test drove an evo X gsr with the sss package and really liked how responsive it was and was still smooth at the same time

i really want to get one, do a tune (using stock ecu) along with basic performance upgrades and not worry about upgrading anything major as I will want the car to last a long time

my questions are which would you choose and why? i know the older ones have different motors etc, how are the transmissions and if there is one specific model/year why would you pick that over others?

it will be a daily driver that i would be happy if it could run a low 12 and be dead reliable till 100k (btw are they timing chain or belt?)

To put it very shortly- If you want refinement, an evo x is the direction. If you want power, an evo viii/ix is the way to go. The x has a timing chain, the viii/ix has a timing belt.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Here is a great information thread to read up on…
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evom-newbie-faqs-forum/317064-beginners-read-me-new-your-evo-looking-evo.html
Here is another one(more info on the evo x)
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/322869-evo-x-vs-evo-viii-ix-merge.html

so in terms of longevity, aftermarket support, easy power adders , better trans/dif etc what is better for each car etc?? I know just about nothing on these cars except all the junk ive been reading the past couple days to try and figure it all out

Seems like a lot of people are looking at Evo’s lately. I have nothing really to add other than I love the VIII and IX’s looks over the X.

aftermarket support is huge for any year evo. to me for a DD, evo X hands down

Either car is a great option. They both have extremely great aftermarket support. However I’ve heard working on the X can be a pain since the motor is flipped around with the exhaust manifold being on the backside of the engine now. Evo 8 or 9 IMO is probably the easier of the 2 to work on and has a bit more support over the X however as far as stock ECU tuning is concerned I believe. Plus 8 and 9’s are lighter too

If you want a decently quick Evo get a IX. Intake, exhaust, cams and a tune would get you a long way. I’d get a IX cause you can get more out of a tune with the MIVEC head and stock turbo!

As far as the trans, Mitsu is still working on the trans. But '06 seems to be the best year.

Evo X’s are cool, but heavy. The new 4B11 is said to be built better, and produces more power per mod vs a 4g63. But I’m for 4g63 all day.

If you are looking to build it in the future, just get a '03.

As far as reliability, as long as you keep with them on maintenance these will last. There is several Evo VIII-IX’s out there on the factory motor with close to 200k and those that surpassed 200k.

bring on the flaming but here goes…I personally hate the feel of the evo X. They feel cheap IMO. I’m a big fan of the VIII and IX. The X is a huge PITA to work on. The only thing I did like very much about the X was the power delivery. That part feels really good.
Buy an VIII or IX because they look way better and are more mechanic friendly.
Or get an STI and enjoy 6 gears and the more RWD bias platform.

I went through lots of thinking of “what do I want out of this car?” and an sti was my final choice. Had I been building a race car, I would have choosen an evo.

F the IX, F the x.

Evo 8 for the win. It’s even less complicated which makes parts not only cheaper but easier to obtain and install. Cams and more.

ACD sucks. It’s really not that much better than the normal differential and it’s more weight and complication to an already complex drivetrain. The thing you’d be looking for is AYC which is only present on the evo X, which sadly is a lot heavier so the gains aren’t as noticeable as they should be.

Mivec is hard to tune. There are things in the evo IX ecu that people still don’t know what it does.

Yeah, evo’s are kind of econoboxes by design. But so is the STI and the evo x. There isn’t much way around that short of buying an AMG or some car that’s build to be luxurious. However I will tell you this. Even with my car slammed on coilovers it still drove nicer than almost any thing I had owned up until that point. It’s a very SOLID feeling car.

Mind you. If I had to choose any of the 3 to leave mildly modded or stock I’d pick the IX. Newer is nicer in some cases but knowing how Evo’s and people get along you won’t want to leave yours stock long.

I would pick the IX. The 4g63 is tried and true for many years, the IX is the last of them, typically the one you want to own. Add some bolt ons and you have a solid daily with great preformance. I miss my VIII at times these days, such a fun car all around. Not the best daily for most people, but very fun car. Only thing I would tell you to do if you decide to drive any of them year around is to get the car undercoated/rustproofed often.

Did you mean IV or IX?

Loved my IX with bolt ons/tune; never drove and IV or an X.

I’d go with an 8 or 9, the 10 just looks too close to the Lancer sometimes. I had a shit ton of fun in Jellers car at Dunnville

I love my 8

I am totally in love with my IX. Drove a VIII, IX, and a X before I chose the IX. Car still has that raw-nerve feel of the VIII, but felt more refined. Not a fan of the styling on the X as compared to the VIII / IX cars, but it’s said to be faster and more refined.

I’m a big fan of the concept that the last iteration of old technology is better than the first of a new one… so I went 4G63T.

That is generally great advice.

I like it. If I had to choose i’d go IX with a jdm rear bumper and call it a day.

:tup:

Just don’t get one in Electric Blue, they suck :lol:

^
Agreed, haha.

If I honestly was in a position to buy one right now i’d go IX RS in either white/ dark grey(hotttt)/ or red. I’d honestly rather have the red pinstriped cloth as opposed to the leather. Install a radio and speakers, jdm IX rear bumper, and slowly and tastfully mod when the money/time is right.

I have read that the mr 6spd transmission is pretty weak. Stick with the 5 speed.

Ughhhhh…

dont go white… i know of 5 around here… lol i will def have to paint mine this winter then!

IX hands down. Bolt ons and tune will wake her up big time.