Evo owners- Q's

I completely agree.

BTW… I get about 15-17mpg mostly city.

I get 26 mpg on the highway, about 20 in the city. I am stock turbo with full bolt-ons.

Comfort, not so much. Its a stiff suspension and the seats can be cruel on long trips, but for getting around town its wonderful.

Reliability is better than people give them credit. The motor is invincible, the rear end doesn’t go, and the driveshaft/axles seem to last forever. The transfer case is pretty indestructable if you use the stock fluid and change it every 15k or sooner. The transmission and clutch are the weak points, but thats not the end of the world. Stock trans is fine for stock performance, and the clutch should be upgraded almost no matter what. When you throw a TRE trans in there, and take care of it, you are pretty much set for life there too

I like them :tup:

:word:

Maintenance isn’t too expensive! I’d rather own an evo than almost any German car. Hell, all 4 corners new pads/rotors for $300, full car fluid change for ~ $100, etc… Hell, even the trans rebuild is only $850. If I had a Porsche, it would cost that much to open up the trans!

–mark

I’m getting around 20 city and 25 highway with mine… I love the car for what it is, and hate it for what it’s not… so you really have to understand what you want out of the car.

I’m casually looking to sell mine and convert it into two cars because I want something more track oriented and something more street oriented.

Word, I look at my maintenance costs and then I look at an evo and I laugh.

Thats you doing all the labor and getting deals on parts…

Yeah, but that wouldn’t change if it was on an Evo or a Ford Pinto.

I spend about $40-50 per oil change because I am anal and change the filter every oil change. I am just coming up on the driveline fluid flush timetable so no idea on costs. I also do all my own work and let VERY few people touch it much less turn a wrench on her.

~20 mpg daily street and closer to 24-25 freeway for me as far as mileage goes. And that’s putting 300 to the wheels.

People dont change the filter every oil change???

Not everyone. Only anal retentives like some of us.

It only seems right to do it all at the same time, every time I suppose.

where the hell do u get pads/rotors for $300?

i change my oil/filter/plugs every 3 months, but thats only around ~750 miles lol

Woah. :eek: 50 bucks?

I do my filter with the oil as well but it’s nowhere near that costly!

5 quarts of Mobil-1 at walmart is about 22 bucks, a filter from the dealer is around 5. (evoM had a decent oil filter comparison thread a while back and OEM performed among the highest)

lol, I asked him the same thing. www.brakeplanet.com
4 OEM rotors (150) + Axxis pads (90) = cheaaaaap

probably cheap chinese crap. “OEM replacement” != OEM

the best deal I’ve found on rotors is speedelement’s $399 shipped for a full set of stoptech slotted.

The problem with brake planet is that it costs ~ 75 for shipping, but, its still cheaper than most places.

And yeah, there is probably a larger chance of problems with the rotors (although many people here run OEM replacements and do track days and have never had a problem) but they also come with a life time warranty. I personally only run cheap knockoff rotors and again have never had a problem with them. Of course road courses and such may be way harder on them, but that wasn’t part of the initial question, this is just an option, and a very reasonably priced one if that.

it’s the cheap ones that tend to deform with heat and collect deposits causing vibration etc…

perhaps i should look to an sti. someone said its a car that you drive rather than it driving you- thats what im lookin for. the gti is sweet but even when i pound on it it feels like its in control. i want to get back to havin something more… gnarly i guess. my commute is usualy around town and on the weekends i go from hamburg to the tonowanda area through the city and back to hamburg. some days ill go out to elma or that area. as for interior… i found 2 that have leather recaros… that interior looks pretty allright to me.

drive both… if you can’t tell a difference in the “sharpness” of the evo then buy the sti…
the sti is a better daily driver for sure, but the evo is the driver’s car.

Evo VIII/IX = more driver feedback = more bumps, thumps, and rattles.
Evo X = more refined = more removed from road feedback

STi’s, from what I have experienced are the same idea except the 05’ish style is a little more removed than the Evo VIII’s and Evo IXs.

Tough to tell anything about “feel” over the internet. For example, I think running 750 lb springs in an Evo is completely streetable. :smiley: