EVO owners, which TBE?

I’d like anyones opinion on a good turbo back exhaust that I should get for my 03 EVO. I was thinkin about getting a Perrin, and there’s a guy saying some good things about the Megan system (which is a lot cheaper). Any suggestions would help out.

Dave

buschur 4L

megan if your gonna go that route, or did u try ebay? theres a ton of things on there u can get super cheap

tkklemman has the TBE by megan on his, sounds good as hell

Sometimes you get what you pay for imho.

I dont have a complete turbo back, but I did have an RnR Downpipe and testpipe, I returned the RnR DP cause it fit like complete shit on my 05. I then purchased a Turbo XS DP and I am satisfied with it, fitment is great, quality looking piece also. I know the 03s are a bit more forgiving on the DPs as compared to 05s with ACD making fitment a tight fit.

Need more info:

Do you care about sound levels?
Are you planning on running a cat or test pipe?
Are you looking for a more stock looking or aftermarket looking exhaust?
What are your requirements overall?

Jeller

I have the DC Sports downpipe/cat pipe delete in stock for 205 bucks. It’s a quality piece that fits great and you get rid of most of the restriction in the exhaust with one inexpensive part.

Then just throw any good cat back on to finish it off.

-Mike

Agreed, it’s a really nice looking piece too.

RNR I believe has a great deal on his TBE right now…

RNR Takes forever with exhausts…

The Megan Racing exhaust fits like crap…

Like Jeller said, it depends on what you want in an exhaust. Loud or quiet? Cat or no cat?

If you felt like leaving your car in Buffalo for a day, Lee could make you a custom one just how you want it.

I can almost see thru my Buschur exhaust it is so straight.
It did require some spacers because of the straight “high flow” design.
So far I love it.
The sound is very nice too if that is a factor for you.
Hope that helps.

seems that the megan on tom’s car doesnt fit too bad at all…

I don’t know where you are getting that from, but the one that’s on mine
fits fine. It even clears the sub frame connectors by over 1.0". Everything bolted up where it should, and everything is centered at the rear bumper. No hitting of the heat shields or the drive shaft like a ton of other exhausts. If you would like to see it, I can arrange that. But, as far as Megan goes now (NOT earlier versions) everything fits just fine now. Megan initially had issues, but they have all been worked out now.

In essence, an exhaust system is a pipe, that’s all, no more, no less. Polished, unpolished, blah blah blah. The only real differences comes from the type of mounting, hence, V-band, flange, slip fit, construction materials and the muffler type. Most exhausts you get today are made of a 304 Stainless derivitive anyways. The V-Band’s are retarded expensive, I personally don’t like the slip fit’s, so the next best was a flange type for me. So far, the Megan has help up well, and fits just fine. Maybe a few pictures are in order to show that there are no issues with the Megan?

With hindsight always 20/20, and seeing the aftermarket exhausts available, I would just fabricate my own with the exception of the downpipe. Personally, I would get the DCSports from Mike, and make my own cat-back because the flanges are inexpensive, the cat back is damn near a straight shot, and can be made into an Apexi N1 style (Angled Exit Muffler) with only 1 bend in the exhaust. You can get 304 or any grade for that matter 3" pipe from a few local sources, and just spend an hour or two under the car one day to get all your measurements, then cut to size and have someone weld it for you. (Use Lee at Hybrid) The hangers are simple, you can use 304 SS rod and just bend to shape in a vise, then once again, have someone weld it for you. With a free weekend, you can make your own and probably save possibly even $200 over even the Megan system.

Well, Megan may have changed designs, but the last one we installed rubbed somewhere up front and was physically hugging the gas tank, hence my distaste for it. If they have since redesigned it with actual clearences then it could be better. I’ll take a look at it next time your here Tom. I’m with you on making your own though.

I am with you on this. I really like the personal satisfaction of making my own stuff. But, hindsight is always 20/20. Oh well…

SOMEONE MAKE AN EXHUAST THAT ELIMINATES THE STUPID FUCKING 02 HOUSING AND USES AN OPEN DUMP

Thank you.

I thought that someone already makes one. I dunno…

It wouldn’t be thta hard to fabricate one anyways…

Besided, Burshur did testing on the E-Bay one and found
it gave him an extre 10-15hp over even his ported stock
one. Now he sells them… The E-Bay O2 housing is really
that friggen good, and reduced spool-up drastically in mine.
I get full spool below 3,000 rpm’s now with my set-up…

get some cams tom :smiley:

Ok, which one is Lee? and if you get this shoot me a PM and let me know which is good. I might take you up on driving out there to get one made. I’m just a little nervous about the CEL coming on or something.

there is a o2 fix for th evos when u get rid of the cat so u dont have to worry about the CEL… u can pick it up for like 75 bux, works wonders

That is what is nice about Buschur, they design for performance but they also make it so those types of things are never a problem.
My car just passed inspection.:slight_smile:

One other thing, anyone can cut, bend and weld a pipe but, just make sure the flow is tested and optimized if you are looking for good performance.

If you would like to examine the exhaust on my car let me know.

Or you could use the sparkplug fowlers and only spend $4.00. Thats what I did and works great IMHO. No cutting or splicing.

Here is the closest thing I found when looking before I gave up.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/items/lanevo98_12.jpg