Experienced KA24DE Help Please

Simple questions

1. What do you set your ignition timing to?
  2. Base idle
  3. TPS

Just curious once again. As spring is around the corner. Wanna try to figure out my “flatness” in my car.

New TPS set to O.E Specs. Set timing to O.E Specs.

Stock ignition timing is 20(±2) BTDC (as per FSM)
Stock base idle is 700rpm (±50rpm) (as per FSM)
TPS voltage should be at ~5V (as per FSM)

thats what everything is at.

but i’m looking for a “tuners” point of view.

very rarely is ignition timing at the fsm specs. always advanced. just curious as to what everyone runs.

same with tps. advance it and the throttle response is crisp. to much…and it just fucks with everything

i’m looking for that fine line in between

Well if it’s a stock ka, I don’t see the point in changing these other than OEM specs. I’ve always ran my ka’s to nissan specs… except when boosted…
Maybe I don’t understand what you are trying to do.

she does not seem to be running proper. my buddy had the exact same car minus hicas and a/c.

his car > my car. faster. more torque. yadda yadda yadda. burnout in my car? yeaaaa okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaay. not happening

You could do a full tune up and verify everything like the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, catalytic converter (verify if not blocked), injectors, etc.
You could also do a compression test to see how it is. That’s what I would do first before going into anything more “advanced” in terms of troubleshooting.

magnaflow cat conv. magnaflow res and muff.
ngk wires
ngk plugs
new o.e fuel filter
new cap
new rotor

ran carbon blaster through it. injector cleaners. engine oil is changed every 3000km or less.

i forgot to mention also…it failed e-test horribly. can not find the paper or remember the numbers. but it was baaad. i’m sure if i changed the cat that would solve that problem. but not my lack of power issue.

Compression?

do not remember exact numbers on that either. but it was up there. number 3 was 7 psi lower than the rest. i remember that.

What kind of mpg are you getting?

You’d be surprise how much power a block cat can retain. Try to change it first. If you want, I got a 2.5" Maglaflow hi-flow converter that is sitting in my garage. It’s used for about 2 years.

mpg…have not done the math yet. and i just woke up. but i can tell you.

city; 260-350
highway 450-500

that’s on 94. i’ve tried all octanes.

red; my cat is a 2.5" magnaflow high flow.

Not to diss anyone that has a stockish KA, but seriously, all these little power differences don’t make enough of a difference to make it justifiable in my opinion. Just keep it as stock as possible and that way you will get the best MPG out of it.

The more stock you can keep it, the better it is. And when you sell the motor, you will get more money for it too. Trust me on this.

Chris, just run 87…you’re wasting money on 94!

Mark…basically I am trying to GET her to perform like a stock long block. And get the mileage i should.

I don’t expect anything extraordinary from my KA. It is what it is…and something ain;t right.

If it’s only money i’m wasting…i’m fine with that. I’m used to filling my truck every week sometimes twice for 50-70 every fill.

my s13 is around 40-50 on 94…or v-power.

like i have said before…i have never really owned AND appreciated a jap car. so…i’m just trying to learn what they like and how they like it.

Damn… but still, a lot of people here use 87 octane on their KA’s. I’d only put in 94 if you are going to track your car the next day, just for some insurance in case the motor gets too hot or w/e.

It looks to me like you’re getting above average gas mileage and I’d try to keep it that way. (i.e the saying…“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

Don’t worry about all the little things like an intake, etc

Either save up for a turbo, or get a different motor, depending on what you wanna do with the car. If it’s just your daily driver, a stock ka is good enough, but may not be as fun.

Less is more in some cases.

That is so true!!!
I have ran ka’s with 91 octane just because I wanted to and for the little benefit of higher octane. 94 is a little too much in my opinion.

Look at your converter to make sure it’s not jammed inside and replace it. That would be a first step.

hey 87s15, thats pretty good gas mileage and you get that with all the above parts replaced ? i get around 400 max. run v power only. i do alot of highway too

k&n intake and full exhaust minus header.

my buddy’s s13 same as mine like i said he got 600 ALWAYS. and more power…