Fall Fishing

We were at a tiny private pond. The owners stocked in many years ago with largemouth and bluegill and then they put in some sterile asian grass carp to control the weeds. Now the carp are out of control and they are all about 8-10lbs. He asked that whatever carp we catch, to throw into the weeds. We also caught big sunfish and big crappie. It took we about 30 seconds to reel in the big carp versus 3 minutes for the biggest bass.

Usually carp that size put up a good fight. Maybe because it was a grass carp in a pond? All of the ones I’ve caught coming in to spawn from the lake have been Bulls. One of the most underrated fish in my opinion. I had to tighten my drag three times to get that one in I posted. My wife and buddy both got huge carp in the same night. It took them both about 20 minutes to get them in. I look forward to carp fishing almost as much as steelhead fishing.

It’s very possible that it is because of the kind of carp you caught. The carp you got is used to living in current and is probably a stronger swimming fish because of it. I landed mine on my ultralight with 6lb line.

In Europe carp are a highly targeted fish, but here stateside they are not very respected. Having said that I personally have not motivation to target carp.

You aren’t missing anything lol. They fight “ok” I guess, but nowhere near as good as salmon or steelhead or bass pound for pound.

Today I went 5 for 6 on steelhead and 3 for 3 on smallmouth. Nothing big, the biggest was about 25", but I did see some big fish near 30" still in there.

You should give it a try if you like a good fight. They aren’t the lazy bottom feeders everyone thinks.

Not trying to argue, but I totally disagree with that. But like we said above, I guess it depends on the type of carp and where you’re catching them. Got to give you props on still getting steelhead. I’ve been getting all bass and some nice sized sheep-heads on jigs. It seems with the better weather, the tribs attract quite the winners. From guys arguing that all Erie tribs are full of walleye. To morons blatantly throwing trash everywhere and leaving.

Do you know id chumming for carp with bread or corn is legal in NYS?

As as far as I know it’s legal. You just can’t chum with eggs.

Went 3 for 4 today on steelhead. It was a very aggravating day though. I had at least 10 other fish aggressively chasing the kwikfish about 1" behind it on the retrieve, then take a huge swipe and hit the lure or miss completely. Today should have been 10 for 15 instead of 3 for 4. Oh well. I did have a TANK following though, an easy 30"/10lb fish. I’m taking a few days off from steelhead. I’m going to try to get a perch either tomorrow or saturday.

Here’s the biggest from today, about 24" and chrome.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36402&stc=1

Been a while for any updates. I’ve been out a few times. No more steelhead caught for me, just tons of smallmouth. I did catch 1 perch at Silver Lake so that put me at #7 out of #12 for the “tight lines challenge” at AEOutdoors. I went inland trout fishing yesterday and landed 4 small brown trout. I got them on my 5’ ultralight. I posted the pic to the Lehigh Fishing Company page and the owner asked me if he could call me. Long story short, he put me on his pro-staff! He said I do so much promotion for him that it’s the least he could do. You’ve heard me mention the rod several times before, but I just can’t say enough about how good it is. It is totally 100% American made and hand-made. It’s a work of art. Here is a video showing him build a tiny ice fishing rod. You’ll see exactly how much work goes into making it. I would have never thought it was that time consuming, but it is.

[video]http://wnep.com/2015/02/15/rod-building-with-the-lehigh-fishing-company/[/video]

Finally went to the Rock last weekend and did ok!Also Been Walleye fishing! So far caught 4 walleyes in the 2 outings. One of them is pretty huge! Joel, come to the ffoot of Ferry for walleyes and Silver bass. They are in right now. http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36467&stc=1http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36468&stc=1

what time of the day are you walleye fishing ? at night ? also what are you using?

Around 6pm to 11pm. I used a 1/4 oz jig head with a fluke/plastic minnow. People use bottom rig with live minnow too. Either early in the morning or around 6pm to midnite

I did a mapquest for the foot of Ferry. It ends up at the bridge that crosses onto that island that the Army Corp of Engineers is on. Do you cross the bridge and fish in the shallow water between the 190 and the island or do you fish on the island out into the river, casting towards Canada?

Joel, I fish right at the parking lot where the draw bridge at the end of West Ferry street. But the bridge is closed for repair right now. So I park at Squal Island and bike to the left toward the foot of Ferry. Just got home. Only got 1 decent size walleye. Got report from my friends that silver bass is biting like crazy in the early morning.

With the bridge closed is the park still full of shady characters. I went there a few years ago with the family and there were guys dealing drugs out of their cars . I have not been back since. I plan on possibly heading out there after work tomorrow.

With the bridge closed only fishermen are there. No shady people!

I don’t really fish, but my fiancé does. This was last spring, looked like a big ass fish to me and was tasty.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/gaalessi/20150523_091843_zpscr0em9ty.jpg

I went there tonight with my girlfriend. We got there around 8 and fished until 9:45. I caught a smallmouth bass, that’s it. I saw a lot of people keeping suckerfish, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I didn’t see any other gamefish landed. We didn’t walk very far down. We just went to the left and fished from the rocks, there is a tiny eddy there.

I did land a few smallmouth at Ellicott creek earlier and saw some big carp in a hole. So I hopped in my truck and went to Tops to get some canned corn. I chummed the water for 5 minutes and landed this guy:

I landed him on an ultralight, he didn’t fight too hard.

• Updated - - -

Those look somewhat like lake trout. Can’t really tell.

Correct Lake Trout from Keuka, caught with copper line. lol