Fall Fishing

Joel, need to go toward the left where the parking lot is. That rocky is ok for live bait bottom rig.

My girl would not like that hike, lol. Plus I don’t have a long enough handle on my net for that section. It’s a wall about 6’ above the water. No way I could just pull a fish straight up out of the water if he was over 4lbs.

Joel, there are always people there with net willing to help.

I was fishing for carp last week. Had my heavier rods and line with me. While it was still early, I tossed a jig out there with my light action rod and 6lb test for bass. I have a hit, set the hook, and I tell my wife, wow this is heavy and not moving. Then my drag starts screaming. 20 minutes later I finally got this guy in. I thought for sure my rod or line was going to snap.

Later in the night I lost my pole. I have custom made rod holders so I don’t lose poles. And this fish ripped the holder right out of the ground (I hammered it down) and there went my pole. I was standing right next to it. It happened so fast. I’m more mad I couldn’t see the fish. That thing had to be a monster. I think I could have finally beat my buddies record with a 30+ lb carp. :frowning:

Is the area that i have a redline on the area you are referring to?

Joel, were you at Medaille college tonight?

It would be on the opposite side casting to the canada side. It looks like the upper left corner stretch beyon the cut off.

Yes! My gf’s kid graduated!

Nice! I knew you looked familiar. Lol.

I landed a BIG carp on my little ultralight. My forearm was burning lol.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36487&stc=1

Fish was 29" and about 13-15lbs. Took about 5 minutes to land. I was surprised at its stamina!

Wow! I didnt know Carp can fight like that! Here is couple walleyes caught by a friend and my brother. I caught a few in that size too. http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36489&stc=1http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36490&stc=1

So I ended up going to Unity island Saturday morning. I got there at 6am and there was almost no spots to park. It was as bad as Burt dam during salmon season. I fished until about 8am , got skunked, and then went home for breakfast with the family.

I don’t think i will be going back there anytime soon. I would much rather hit small streams for 12" trout alone, than deal with the crowds .

My friend went out in his friends boat Saturday night. They launched at 10pm and he didn’t get home until 5am. They caught 16 walleye and a bunch of smallmouth bass. They kept the walleye. He was wiped out all day Sunday lol. I could see doing that once or twice a year, but not every night.

I’m with you on the stream fishing! Nothing nicer than fishing in 80 degree weather, in shorts, and sandals, wading in the 65 degree water, with the stream all to yourself!

Got into another brute of a largemouth today. 19" and roughly 5lbs.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36493&stc=1

Hey guys. I’ve been checking out the Niagra River lately. Does anyone know where to park to access the NYPA fishing platform?

The lower circle has a small lot. You can park there and walk right down to Devil’s Hole. The platform is at the upper circle. There is a gate you have to go through. I’m not sure if they allow you to park any closer. I’ve never fished at the platform itself.

The platform is a cluster F. The one time I fished down there my net was stolen. Having said that it may be the only good option for the lower. Since it receives water from the reservoir it may not be full of moss. but I am not sure. What I can tell you is that I went to devils hole 3-4 weeks ago and could not get a single cast in without pulling in a clump of moss, and based on fishing reports it has only gotten worse since then.

I’ve been checking out devils hole and the whirlpool with my father these past few weeks. We want to try some different places to fish this fall. I was on FishBrain and came across these tagged at the platform.

I had a feeling it would be. I fished Devils hole last weekend with no luck. I did get a few bass and a carp at the Whirlpool. By the look of it, you don’t cast very far for Salmon and Steelhead in the fall. The current is so fast. It looks to me at least you have to find the spots closer to shore where the current isn’t nearly as strong. I was told Devils hole for Salmon. And closer to Artpark for steelhead. I haven’t been to Artpark yet. But by pictures it looks like the current is much slower.

I’ve been to the power plant platform for the pass couple weeks. It’s a cluster F :slight_smile: You can park at the lot at the bottom and a short walk to the platform. I was there float fishing for silver bass. A few lakers and steelheads were caught there.

A nice sized steelhead went by me when I was at the whirlpool last weekend. I wished it would have hit my jig.