Fall Fishing

Found a nice group of carp over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/yqhN2OAZL4g

Nice! Carp are great to fish for in the summer. Pretty much the biggest fish you’re going to get from shore besides catfish.

So I made it to the platform. Never again. There’s pretty much only bass and carp there now and it was a complete mess. People literally walking an inch away from you when there’s plenty of room and casting. Crossing your line. The water is pretty turbulent there and you never know where your float is going to go. So this guy decides he’s going to bottom fish in the middle of everyone. Needless to say almost everyone got tangled with him. And not to mention every time you catch a fish someone is running up to you asking if they can have it. Well that was my experience. I can only imagine what it’s like when the steelhead and salmon run there. No thanks.

Has anyone gotten a fall salmon/trout yet? I have been going to olcott pier for the past two weekends with no luck. Going down to devils hole tomorrow. It has been too long since my last trout/salmon.

the

Piers are really your best bet right now. The creek temps are still way too high. Some of my friends have gotten a few here and there from the piers but nothing crazy. We don’t have any forecasted rain for a while either. We need 3 days of 40 degree nights and 2 solid days of rain. That will bring them in!

So this thread may have partially inspired me to go drop a pile of money on new gear. Stopped at Colville and left with two rods/reels and an assload of tackle. I highly reccomend shopping there. I’d really like a king to put in my smoker. Went to the power plant, never again! It was a mess. Going to try olcott and Wilson piers this weekend and next week. Any other suggestions?

You could try the shore from devil’s Hole or Artpark. At least you’d have some room to yourself in those spots.

That’s what I was thinking. I’m going to try the maid of the mist dock near the falls too

We went this morning. Tried to park down at the platform at Devil’s Hole, no luck. There were a bunch of cars at the upper lot. No way am I going to walk that far in the heat lol. We ended up parking at ArtPark. Saw 1 salmon surface and 3 other fish. Saw a bunch of tiny bass near shore (not a good sign), which means the water is still very warm. It was nice to get out but we need a week of cold temps and a few good days of rain.

My father had 3 on last night. Got one salmon in. The action is picking up. I’m finally back on third shift. I can fish after work everyday in the mornings when the bites hot. :tspry:

I went to devils hole on Saturday and the water temp is in the 70’s. I consequently got skunked. I think they are at the platform because the water from the reservoir may be colder and the turbulence in the water makes it more oxygenated. not sure but they are def not in the river in any significant numbers.

Sunday I went to olcot pier for a few hrs in the morning and got one bite. There were a few fish landed. It is starting to pick up there for sure.

If anyone going to Olcott pier please give me a PM :slight_smile: Wanna try to that place for while and don’t want to go alone.

I live a few minutes from there, the fish are definitely in. Went there with the boy a few days ago, conditions were bad and didn’t get anything but they were jumping out like crazy. Was thinking of going next nice day we have.

Went out today for steelhead and browns. Had a king absolutely SLAM my lure. 12 minutes and 15,000 headshakes later he was in the net. Was just a tick under 39" and was probably 18-20lbs. I am not equipped to fight salmon at all with my gear, lol. I landed him on a 6’6" med/fast rod, with 8lb mono line, no leader. He hit a chrome kwikfish with pink dots, my favorite lure for steelhead.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36770&stc=1

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36771&stc=1

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36772&stc=1

Where was that? I’ve been taking the boy to olcott. Doing OK but, as I think I previously mentioned, first time fishing for something other than bass

That was at Johnson Creek in Lyndonville. There’s not a lot of fish in there. I was really hoping for a big brown. They get much bigger out of the Ontario tribs versus the Erie tribs.

Cool. That’s a nice fish. We were going to try keg creek this year…

Nice fish Joel!

Keg is a hidden gem. There is no water in it right now though. That’s one of my all-time favorite creeks.

Thanks!

Been rough this year. But finally got into them this week. Can’t beat these fish when the waters warm!