Fall Fishing

Erie tribs have been bad so far. I’ve talked with a bunch of other guys and they’re in the same boat. I really hope the colder weather and rain is going to start a good run. By this time last year I had 35+ fish. I’m at 9 so far this year.

I’m only 2 so far LOL! Well, I only go to the Rock. Didn’t get anything from Oak Orchard. Not use to a shallow and small river like that before. Also too many fly guys down stream.

• Updated - - -

Nice King! LEhigh been using your pictures on FaceBook a lot :slight_smile:

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36857&stc=1Ok make that 10. Lol

I got 1 today, my girl got 2 smaller ones. We hiked a LOT.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36858&stc=1

I went down to Oak Orchard last Wednesday and bumped into Z PHAT Z. I then went down stream a bit and went 8/13 7 steelhead and 1 brown trout. It was a good day even though I took a swim while fighting a steelhead filling my waders and deploying my auto PFD in the process. When you are on track to a double digit fish day, being wet does not matter.

I almost hit double digits on an Erie trib this week. Maybe there is still a chance for a decent run! Well for Erie I mean…

Landing 8 is an amazing day! I don’t think I’ll have any days like that for the rest of the year.

I did real good on Tuesday. Landed 3 gorgeous bucks on an Erie trib. Just perfect color, and not a mark on them. There were roughly 35-40 fish in the pool I was at. I visited it on Thursday and the pool was down to 15-20. An older guy had 2 on his stringer and told me he landed a few the day before. Proof positive that people that keep fish can have an impact. On caught and released 2 after the older guy left, but another guy came along and caught a beauty and put it right on the stringer. I’d bet that there might be 1-5 fish left by tomorrow. Practice C+R people!

Fish from Tuesday:

Fish from Thursday:

• Updated - - -

Then on Friday my girl and I went to Maxwell creek. She landed a beauty steelhead. Not real big but gorgeous colors. Today we hit the Genessee River just below the massive waterfall. There was still a decent salmon run going on so we targeted them. We went 3 for 5, including 2 bruisers.

It’s a nice river to hit for you fly guys. We walked downstream a bit and saw a lineup of spey-rod fishermen, though we didn’t see them land anything.

Nice job…I can see myself possibly getting into fishing at some point…seems very relaxing…

Nice Job guys! Nice to meet you albaaboog LOL! I hated that dam! I didn’t fish at all. I went home after a while just chilling with those guys. I’m not use to small creeks with low water level. I will have to adjust the way I fish and learn how to fish those creeks.

Nice fish! I fished next to someone who threw everything on a stringer he caught. Except he would literally throw the fish from the water on shore. Then go get it and put it on a stringer. A while later I landed a nice big fresh male steelhead. He asked me if he could have it when I was letting it go. All I said was “nope I won’t kill these fish”. He replied that it would be great for the smoker. I told him it’s even better if I let him go and he grows even bigger. Then he stopped talking to me. Lol

LOL! Nice one there man! Hopefully it will somehow change his mindset about C&R

Landed a brute today on a Vibrax spinner #4 blade.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36892&stc=1

Relaxing and exciting at the same time. Plus it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than cars! You can literally have top of the line stuff, rod, reel, waders, tackle, etc, for around $1000-$1500. We have some of the best fishing in the world right here in our backyard. We live in an amazing climate that gives us big cold-water fish (salmon, trout, walleye), and plenty of big warm-water fish (bass, carp, catfish, musky, pike). Plus we live right next to 2 of the great lakes. There’s a reason that you see tons of out-of-state plates every time you fish for salmon.

Lakers are stacking thick in the Lower Niagara. I know it’s closed season for them but whatever you throw in they will bite. Hoping to catch steelies but only one or two here and there. So far hooked up 22 and landed 16 lakers.

Any updates guys? I’ve been getting out maybe once a week. My best day was 2 weeks ago when I landed 4 steelhead. Nothing crazy I know, but still nice to get out.

I have been in the same boat about once a week so far in 2017. Went out to the lower on Sunday and got one Steelie in about 3 hrs worth of effort. . I am really optimistic that this weekend in going to be good on the lower we have not had a lot of wind all week it should make for some good water color. The Ontario tribs may also be in really good shape too, but i need to repair my waders for some pinholes before i go into the water again.

For me, the winter run on the Erie tribs is slower than normal. Not surprised with how poor the main run was in Oct/Nov. Although New Years eve I did great. I was fishing with sacs and nothing. Switched to a jig, and hooked 7. I got 5 to shore. It was rewarding catching them on a jig I tied myself.

I did awesome in the lower for Lakers in Nov. Not sure what to use now for Steelhead. Haven’t had much success. Think I’ll switch from beads to jigs. I’m glad I tried the lower this year. I like fishing there.

I got out early today for a few hours with my old lady. I went 2 for 3. Landed the bigger one on a pink jig, landed the smaller one on a kwikfish. The conditions were ideal, but it was raining good, and we could see the water starting to discolor and rise as we were leaving.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36978&stc=1

Nice!!! I’m guess you were on an Ontario trib?

Nope. Erie trib!