Fall Fishing

I went to Canadaway creek today. It looked amazing, a little higher than normal and slightly stained. We got nothing, lol. Ran into 1 other guy who also had no luck. Oh well. Drove by Catt and it looked all jammed up with ice still. 18-mile out of Erie looked good, Caz was jammed, and Buffalo creek was jammed.

18-mile and Canadaway fishable.

I hit up oak orchard and Johnson creek both were in good shape. Only got one brown trout. I was fishing jigs and plastics . I think I would have done better fishing roe today. ohh well hopefully next week the lower Niagara will be fishable

Where do you go at Johnson’s? Me and my girl usually go right to the dam. We’ve done pretty well there. We went to fish another spot but the one side was posted, so we didn’t want to chance it. I don’t know the area too well, and I don’t know any other guys that regularly fish it. I like hitting the Ontario tribs, they seem to bring in bigger fish, and way more browns and coho’s.

Is the oak orchard mouth accessible? I see a lot of people fish the stream. But there doesn’t appear to be many places to park. At least according to the maps posted on the DEC website.

I will pm you some info. There really is not that much people that fish there I have only run into a few locals really. I do not want to blow a spot.

Put about 125 miles on my truck today. I left my house (Tonawanda) and drove down to 18-mile out of Erie. It was raging chocolate milk, ugh. No bueno. So I turned around and headed wayyyy north to Burt dam. I passed Burt and drove over to Keg creek. It looked PERFECT. I walked a good mile of it, and saw ZERO fish. All I can think is that there is some big ice jam near the mouth preventing fish from coming in. So I packed up there and went to Burt. I was there 5 minutes and hooked into a beauty steelhead about 7lbs. Shook the hook after 10 seconds, oh well. Then I headed up to the dam and landed 1 small brown about 19-20".

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36111&stc=1

Pet peeve of mine here. There was one other guy up at the dam. Smoking like a chimney, tossing butts into the water. I was looking at what he was using. He had a basic dropshot rig (illegal at Burt dam). The weight cannot hang lower than the hook at Burt. He hooks into a steelhead, and it goes right onto the stringer. Basically he’s littering and keeping everything he catches. Guys like that need to pick up a new hobby. Every year more and more land gets posted because of trash being left, and every year there’s less and less fish, because guys keep everything. Rant over.

Nice fish! I spent about 5 hours at devils hole today and landed 4 steelhead. Been very slow all around for the oast 2 weeks. So i cheated today and put wax worm on ny jig :slight_smile: do you have to load pictures up onto some hosting site then link it here?

Nope, just click the “insert image” icon and it can pull pictures right from your computer.

Any one get out since the streams got the flow bump this week? I want to hit devils hole tomorrow but I am afraid it is milk chocolate from the SW winds we had a few days ago. I am thinking of possibly going elsewhere.

I’m going BASS fishing tomorrow lol. My friend went to 18-mile out of Erie today. Said the visibility was poor. He didn’t tell me what section he was in. I am going to hit 18-mile on Monday. It should be perfect by then. Check the Cast Adventures FB page. That is Paul Castellano’s guide page. He is on the water just about every day and he gives updates to the water conditions in the lower.

I was there on Thursday and the water is very high and milky. I think it should be fine by now. Wow!!! The weather is perfect tomorrow. Too bad I have to work.

Just got back. The water was barley fishable, with maybe 1.5’ visibility. Lost a pig of a laker (maybe 12-15lbs) after a long fight he spat the hook, and a 1-2 lb carp. Both while float fishing pink worms. I decided to take a walk to whirlpool and scouted a bunch of spots for next time. It seems like everyone wants to go down the stairs and start fishing and the fishermen are stacked up in one area, while if you walk 10 minutes more you will have the spot for yourself.

i figure 2 days of low wind and it will be perfect. too bad I can only fish on weekends this time of year

Maybe we can go together sometimes. I usually go by myself. When I go with another person, I tend to want yo try different spot. When Im by myself, I just go to my spot because I know the spot very well, like depth, boulders, snag places, and where the fish bites.
i dont mind milky water, as long as the water is low then I still can catch fish.

Pretty good weekend on the Erie tribs. I had around 12 steelhead on. 4 or 5 spit the hook though. It’s crazy how picky these fish are. I did good in the morning, then it died off around 11am. This guy comes, fishes right next to me, where I’ve been fishing for an hour, and pulls 4 steelhead out in 30 minutes. I put on a white jig just like he had, same size, same depth, and nothing. Clearly something about his presentation was better than mine. But I guess that’s what keeps it interesting for me, always room for improvement and getting better.

That’s an awesome photo! The 2nd one.

Went to 18-mile out of Erie today. Water was high, slightly stained and fast. There were a lot of people fishing. I went 3 for 4, one of them was tiny around 15-16". I saw one other guy that hooked up and I took a few pics. Nobody I talked to did very well.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36142&stc=1
http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36143&stc=1

The hen I got had lamprey marks on both sides, I’m surprised she’s still alive.

Here’s a shot of an older guy fighting a nice fish

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36144&stc=1

Nice! Did you use your centerpin?

Nice fish! Was gonna ask what did you use, but saw the kwikfish under neath the fish. I just got my hand on 14 of those kwikfish at $4 a pop. Will give it a try one of these days. Love the picture of the guy fighting the fish in the middle of the river.

I got them all on kwikfish with my spinning gear. The steelhead seem to love the chrome/pink dot ones. When I go out in a boat I will experiment with different colors. Lake Trout aren’t nearly as picky. They pretty much will eat anything. Here’s some of my stash minus about 15 that are in my small tackle box in my truck.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36145&stc=1

Here’s my last fish. Just a little guy:

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36146&stc=1

LOL! Nice little fish! I caught one just as little as your and the guy on the center pin next to me laugh so hard. He said in his life, he never saw anyone caught such a small steelhead. How do you rig the kwikfish? couple split shots about 12-16 inches from it? Thanks. Do you use fluoro connect it? I was thinking using very small snap on swivel to easily change out the kwikfish.