Fashion thread: Dress shirts/suits

I know we have a thread for accessories, but it might be a bit too much to try and mix these together.

I need to buy some suits, shirts and ties. I’m being promoted soon and I need to step up my game in regards to how I dress.

I have been shopping Cavavelli suits since they get decent reviews and are somewhat inexpensive. I need to buy 3 or 4 so I can’t buy expensive ones.

The toughest part I am having is dressing the look of my clients. I’m 24 and the things I want to buy I can’t wear to work. What are some good buys now a days?

I hate dressing up.

Business casual is so much better.

BUT, if you must…lol, get the modern fit shirts, not the classic fit, that way you don’t have a puffy looking waist area.

Are you looking for 2 or 3 button jackets? Blazers possibly?

I am all for fitted shirts.

Most likely going to be 2 button. I will probably end up buying the suit I posted since it is only $99. No blazers. It has to be super professional. My boss literally told me to look at what our government wears and mimmick them…that’s when I realized how difficult this is going to be.

Jos. A Bank always has some insane sales but they make a more classic fitting suit so unless you have a miracle tailor they might look a little old fashioned and baggy on you. Either way if youre looking to go cheap theres nothing wrong with the department stores. Honestly 99% of people cant tell the difference between a well tailored $3000 suit and a well tailored $300 suit so just find something made of a decent material that works for you, and just make sure your tailor knows what hes doing.

Well I planned on getting it tailored. $40 to have it done per suit. Figured $140 for a well tailored suit wasn’t too bad.

I agree with the tailored suit comment, find a good tailor and you’ll be set.

I recommend Chayban Tailors

My brother recommended me to his guy. Frank the tailor hahaha, guess he does it out his house and he does very good work.

I’ve had the same (1) suit for the better part of 12 years. I call it the Chameleon as it can be used for weddings, funerals, interviews, and virtually any formal event. I’m going to play it safe that my input on this thread will be minimal.

Every suit should be tailored and every shirt should fit your measurements. A well fitting cheap suit looks way better than a poorly fitted expensive suit. Almost every place that sells suits/jackets/pants have tailors on staff and can make alterations within a day.

Mens Wearhouse gives you a credit if you trade in old dress wear.

lol… +1. One suit, bought 5 years ago when I was changing jobs and doing interviews. A few different color button down shirts to change it’s style from funeral to wife’s company formal xmas party.

Went to Men’s Warehouse and had everything done there, including fitting. Suit, 3 shirts, socks, belt and shoes.

I love dressing up. Express has a ton of comfortable clothes that fit well IMO. You really can’t go wrong with their fitted button ups. If you gotta get tailoring done go to:

http://www.tomandluigistailorshop.com/index.php

They are good friends of mine, tell them Gennaro sent you and they will take care of you!

^ +100 on Express shirts, I switched from the JC Penny crap shirts to Express and haven’t looked back. I love my shirts fitted.

I’ve heard good things about JC Penney suits, they look pretty nice too. I’m also 24 and have never owner a suit in my life. I would really like to purchase one as well so I’m all in for the info.

All my business casual stuff usually comes from express. Typically they have buy one, get one half off or something.

1 thing I noticed about the Express shirts, is that mine start to curl by the buttons. So you may need to have your bitch iron them shits.

I have one on right now, believe its a 1mx.

Ugghhhh… Express is nice stuff but its soooooo overpriced. You can get fitted shirts anywhere. Hell Marshalls has last seasons Express stuff if you can find your size. Actually Marshalls is the place to go for shirts and ties. All name brands and great prices.

^Same here

and the Express Producer pants, and express boxers.

I will definately check out Marshalls. I’m working with $1,000 budget between shirts, ties and 3-4 suits. I may pick up another pair of black dress shoes too.

Meh, I don’t know. I have had other clothes and it seems like express holds up and still looks good and not “worn out”. I have most of what they offer and will back up quality all day over quantity :tup:

I always go with the fitted express shirts. Coupons + sales are the only time I buy them though.

I am glad that my pay is not appearance AND commission based.