Local suit buying and tailoring

Anyone have suggestions for a local Buffalo store? I have an older suit I bought the pieces for years back. With some stuff coming up I want to get a new proper suit. Since I am tall and husky, off the rack and slim fit crap doesn’t usually work for me so would need some adjustments. Any suggestions? I never wear a suit to work and live in jeans and tshirts so I am trying to find something sub $300 if possible due to how often I actually wear it.

check out Bureau on elmwood…custom tailored suits there are top notch.

Anything under $300 is going to look like shit. Sorry.

Go to Hugo Boss outlet and have it tailored at a local place. I’m a GOON and I can always find something that fits and makes me look fantastic.

You’re recommending a place in which the partial-owner owes you money, makes sense lol.

lol… i’ve used these guys and the experience was quite good. if i were in the market for something in their wheelhouse i would certianly viist them again.

for your price range though you will have issues unless you go used… which you should only do if you are experienced with buying second hand suiting, which you are not.

i would recommend first going to the outlet and trying the stuff on from Saks, Burberry etc. you may be able to find something respectable in the $300 - $500 range. I have found great stuff there in that range.

if you are my size (mens 38r - 40r suiting) i am going to be getting rid of 3 Burberry suits that are all excellent. I have 2 italian made burberry suits (1xcharcoal, 1xnavy) and 1 US made Burberry suit in navy pinstripe.

I recently purchased a suit from CK at the Outlets…for the price plus the discount I got I really couldn’t go wrong, even if I wear it only a couple times.

Bing - you have my interest at “Italian made”…

:wink:

yeah man, i don’t really wear suits anymore and i have these 3 Burberry ones that used to be my go-to suits when i had an office job. they are great.

however, for the 10 or so times a year i wear a suit I want to have the best stuff on earth… i’d like to clear out all my mid-range stuff and have 3-4 retarded suits in the closet.

what size to you normally wear? i think we’re close.

Yea may need to up to less than $500 then. Someone told me to look at Jos A Bank and was like fuck no paying $1000 for a suit. I don’t dress up at work and I never wear a suit in life so trying to find something middle that will last and look decent but not a major investment.

You can get a suit that fits just fine for a couple hundred bucks. A lot depends on your body-type though. I’ve bought suits that fit really well off the shelf and require no tailoring. Heck I think I only paid like $100 for a Clairborne suit and it fit great.

Really depends what you’re using it for and how it fits you individually. If you’re just getting drunk at a wedding, or wearing it as a formality to a job interview (assuming not upper-management), then I don’t think you need to spend a lot of money.

There’s a time and a place for a nice high-end suit, but for many of us that have them collect dust for 364 days of the year, then I think Hugo Boss is overkill.

• Updated - - -

Jos A Bank is a complete rip off and their suits are hideous

Gennaro gave good advice on the CK suits at the outlet. i had one that i wore often for a few years. i had to toss it do to wear and delamination but for a $250 - $300 suit you cant go wrong. i got 100+ wears out of it i am sure.

Some of the CK stuff is cut quite well too.

Yea this is where I am. Have some events to go to the next few months and with a wedding on new years figure would step it up a bit but 99% of the year it sits in a closet. Will check out CK one day next week and see if they have any. I am a goofy size and probably need to be measured so figured would see anywhere if its an extra $100 to get it all done at one spot, that would be good too.

Hugo Boss> Jos A Bank. And PLEASE-flat front pants with NO CUFFS!!! Don’t get a crazy pattern suit, go solid so it eliminates guess work trying to match a shirt/tie/shoes with it. Black suit, black tie, white shirt is always classic so you can’t miss with that. $500 at Hugo will put you in a nice suit and with Columbus Day, there will be a sale.

I’ve managed to pick up a DKNY and CK suit on the clearance racks at Lord & Taylor < $140 each. Nothing special, but they had close to my size. Took them to the tailor here, and was able to get them tailored to fit well. Cost to Tailer was < $100.

They fit and measure you there or will I need to buy off the rack and bring it somewhere? Only thing I worry about designer stuff is 95% of the store is slim fit which I haven’t fit into since I was 5. Need something that has more big and tall stuff.

What about Mens Warehouse?

Jos A Banks doesn’t sell suits for $1000. They might have $1000 suits, but you get three when you buy one, lol.

If if you like the traditional look (not slim fit) check out O’Connells on Main. Pretty much everything above entry level is USA made (which is pretty big deal). Their in house entry level suits start at $500 and that would include tailoring. Suit should last you ten years if you go traditional enough. I’ve bought a few “traditional suits” from O’Connells and John (one of the owners) is a top notch individual. I’ve bought all my Southwick suits from them.

I would check this one out: http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/O-Connell-s-Suit-Cotton-Poplin-Navy-78-0334.html

Chayban’s. They have a few locations and do top notch work.

Just had them tailor pants and a jacket for me last month. They did a wonderful job. For the record it was the one at the galleria mall.

I would think that you would more concerned about the tailoring, than the suit itself right? I’ve bought some pretty cheap suits that my tailor did a hell of a job making it fit just right. I bought a couple Caraveli suits on Ebay for less than $100 each, just my everyday suits and they seem to work well after taking them in to be tailored.

I’m not one for super fancy suits, so I prefer quantity over quality. I have a couple Calvin Klein suits that I got at the BOGO @ Men’s Warehouse and they are probably the best quality suits I own. Maybe I need to step my game up…

I have been on the lookout for a nice blue suit lately, but just haven’t gotten around to buying one yet.

From what I recall, they will figure size you if don’t know what you wear, then help you find something. I have bought a few suits up there and the only thing I had to have done was have the pants sewn as they come unfinished. The jackets fit me spot on.

I’m usually between a 38-40R and 32W for pants.

• Updated - - -

I find this hard to believe.

:stuck_out_tongue:

• Updated - - -

Agreed; the daughters used to do top notch work for me…

:lol: