Fatality at Cayuga today :-(

I went up to Cayuga to day to make a few passes. A 17yo girl driving a jet dragster demo car crashed into the barrier just after clearing the traps at 305mph. Quite upsetting to see it - be careful out there! Looks like something broke on the car or there was a problem with the chute. I doubt it was driver error, but who the hell puts a 17yo in a 300mph jet car??

man thats very shitty to hear

:tdown:

:tdown:

shitty to hear for sure. :tdown:

damn thats some sad shit,

Pretty girl too, not that it really makes a difference. Man, my heart is kind of out of racing for the moment.

i just dont know why a 17 y/o would be driving a car that is that fast, not saying that women cant race but a more seasoned driver may have picked up on something not being right, dont they go over shit before making runs anymore if i was goin to go 300mph id be damn sure to

That is tragic, but whether the girl drives the car or not shoud be dependent on her skill not necessarily her age. I mean, you could say the same thing for Marco Andretti, Graham Rahall, a whole bunch of AMA bike racers, etc. A lot of motorsports greats start very young. Obviously she had to have some skill if she’s been doing it for a while before? They know the risks as do their parents and the teams they drive for.

Wow…what are the chances of two people crashing jet powered dragsters within a couple weeks? Richard Hammond being the other. Too bad she didn’t survive like he did.

I see your point, and I doubt it was driver error. But still, one year after getting a street drivers license to be driving a 300mph car?

That is really sad. I hope I never encounter something like that when going to the track.

Very sad. Chances are no amount of driver experience is going to help you when a 300 mph jetcar breaks.

^^^ once the car rotates around to far, or if the front tires unload, its just a case of hang on and pray

thats awful.

shitty …:frowning:

sucks.

It was pretty awful to see. She ran 5.12 at 306mph I believe. Right at the line, it looked like one chute deployed and the other didnt. The car instantly hooked into a barrel roll and exploded. She nor any other driver would have had a chance. I can still picture her a half hour earlier towing it back on a 4 wheeler and waving to everyone. What a horrible feeling everyone has had for the rest of the day.

w o w

I was actually towing my dad back down the return road and we just got the the 1/4 mile mark and I saw her coming down the track and Boom the front half of the dragster went over the wall and she went another. It was crazy. I couldnt believe what I just saw. When she was ejected from the dragster she smashed into a light pole and thats what caused her death. Her time was left on the tower. 5.21 @ 306mph. From what everybody saw we think the jet motor let go and broke the bolts to her seatbelts. They cancelled the race after it happened.