Fiberglassing project: Suggestions wanted

yeah I’m trying that tonight actually

im supposed to see somebody tonight, but if she doesnt call, want me to give u a ring see if you need help?

Its the victorian street walk in saratoga tonight so im not sure what I’ll be doing.Tomorrow night may be a better time. I’ll let you know

You could try and heat it you, clamp some wood behind it as a flat surface, then throw it under a heat lamp for some hours to give it time to form and then let it cool down on it’s own.

got the kink out. now letting glue set over night to just initially hold the two pieces togther. will be laying a layer of matt with resin over the seam this saturday, then will be sanding and putting kitty hair over that. then more sanding and hoping it all holds together

post pics of progress please

I’ve used fleece before instead of fiberglass. The stuff soaks up a ton of resin and is strong. The other option I guess would be to use bondo fiberglass gel. That stuff might work better holding the two pieces together.

The glue held strong over the night last night. Also do not forget guys that the skirts will be screwed or riveted together all along the bottom and up the sides. I do not think there will be any movement between the two pieces to cause the flare to seperate from the body

How much is the material is at the top? You always rivet it at the top and cover it with filler. Any current pictures?

most current pictures are pretty much the last ones posted on page one

ok. My only concern would the tensile strength of the glue. I’m not sure how much surface area you had while gluing it together, but if you have move the outer skirt to align the bottom when you rivet it, you could end up seperating the top where it is glued together.

thats the issue is there is very little surface area for the glue. The bottoms will not ever be seperated again and there will be about a 4" section of fiberglass matt and resin going over that spot

Rivets are not possible because the two surfaces being fastened together are not overlaping eachother flat. I was considering screws but im sure those would just crack the fiberglass and they can not be counter sunk causing an issue with having a nice smooth surface with out layer upon layer of new fiberglass making the skirt heavy as hell

Ron, I have the solution.

Zipties. You know you want to.

dude i seriously considered doing that and glassing over them lol

So here is an idea. You can use fiberglass or fleece( much thicker)and wrap the outer skirt giving a larger surface area and correct angle (You would have to use wood or the green foam stuff from walmart to make a temp spacer), when it dries use fiberglass gel and rivets to connect it to the rear skirt.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1152/srsbnz.th.png

what about riveting the bottoms of the two skirts together where they overlap?
or do they not touch? i cant tell from the pics

Both the bottom and sides need to be riveted together for structural support.

the bottom and ends are/will be riveted together

gotcha :thumbup
i thought it would be enough if the bottom/ ends were riveted together and then the seam glassed together

UPDATE BROOOOOOOOOOs

I got some rivets today. 25 down that tricky seam area 4 in each end and 8 or so along the bottom where I could on each skirt. These things are heavy… but i think they are going to be pretty solid and dynamite proof.

Time to glass over that and sand shit down. FUCK YEAH