Finished the Cobalt SS Tune

Finally finished up my tune today on the dyno and I couldnt get the 300whp goal I wanted but I did get 358 wtq and 261 whp. Thats more than I really wanted on the torque because I’m worried about the tranny but I have a temp gauge for it so I will be watching it carefully. I’m hoping to make it out to the track on the 23rd to see what i can do with the new power. Wont get a really good time till the fall though. Car feels crazy fast now from a stop. A/f ratio is 12 which the dyno guy said should be fine since i have a return fuel system i dont have to run as rich. :mrT:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/dv_platinum/july2008cobaltdyno.jpg

Interesting torque curve, but congrats. Did the tuner have an idea why peak torque occurs so early, but falls immediately? I have no clue as to the bore x stroke in your motor, but I assume it’s a 2.4L BTW.

well i can only make 11 psi on a gt2860rs, wastegate rod is fully extended. i think thats a problem and possibly an issue with the turbo itself, might be the reason for the tq im getting in comparison to hp.

help me understand cause I’m stupid. Whats the coralation? Although 12:1 is actually a little chubby on the fuel side, why does he elaborate why it can run lean when its not? What does having a FPR that mounted outside of your fuel tank change? and why is his wife a bitch?

Nice torque though!

[QUOTE=ssdragon;706376] A/f ratio is 12 which the dyno guy said should be fine since i have a return fuel system i dont have to run as rich. [QUOTE]

help me understand cause I’m stupid. What the coralation? Although 12:1 is actually a little chubby on the fuel side, why does he elaborate why it can run lean when its not? What does having a FPR that mounted outside of your fuel tank change?

:offtopic: Name Change?

ecotecs are supposed to be in the 10’s from gm, so 12’s are high. that might not be true for other engines though.

Are you sure, that seems super rich…like ring-killing, cat destroying, carbon clogging rich. When he tuned your car, did he continue to lean out until power gain disappeared? Stoic fuel burn is NOT dependant on motor, and I am puzzled as to why an Ecotec in particular is like that

Should that be true then your statement would be correct, but…

That is a more accurate statement.

Who told you that Ecotech motors run 10:1 AF?

www.cobaltss.net they were talking about when they did their logging on gm tunes that they were in the 10’s stock wise and that gm designed them to run rich for safety and that they run that in their race cobalts too. seems really rich to me as well.

Don’t you have an automatic transmission, if so wouldn’t that be why your torque looks crazy?

couldn’t find any threads pertaining to A/F. Oh well. lts definately a possibility that the factory has the tune that far off. That doesn’t mean its proper. Your 12:1 is alot better.

yes, i know what youre saying but the tranny was tuned to not downshift while on the dyno then after we were all done the regular tranny tune was put back on.

12:1 for a FI Application is rich? Since when?

Good to see after a year of working on it ASAP turned out something that can be called “Finished”

Hopefully it works out for you Doug…

I was referring to the 10:1 comment that that is stock. I find that hard to swallow, that’s all. I am well aware of proper A/F ratios, and that sounds way out there.

Thanks man. I told him I better not get any CEL’s in the winter time from running lean lol.

Yeah on the forums they said the 08 cobalts on a gm tune not sure if it was a stage 2 or stock but they were saying upper 10’s is what they logged them at.

the performance packages are designed to run richer than stock for sure, mostly for a margin of safety knowing that people are going to run the fuck outta them.

roots blowers create a LOT of heat, more than any other kind of power adder if you ask me. my commanded PE with my cam/m90 high compression setup is 10.9:1

that’s a lot more fuel than you’d need with a turbo or centrifugal. most of it is used to move heat outta the combustion chamber

when I tune my wot, 12:1 a/f is not really that rich , I usually need a 11.6 -11.8 to keep the car from knocking @ 23 psi.

The high torque is from the torque converter flashing then locking up. The low spot (valley) is where it locks up. Its also why the hp curve looks the way it is. But ya these cars will run high 10s afr from the factory. When i tune a boosted one (lsj or le5 with turbo) i head for around 11.8 across the entire rpm range