Finnish millionaire gets 111,888-euro speeding ticket

A Finnish millionaire Jari Bär, the former owner of the Iisalmi’s company Finnritilä was handed a fine of 111,888 euros (141,661 dollars) for doing 82 km/h (51 mph) in a 60 km/h (37 mph) zone on January in Siilijärvi, Finland.

According to Savon Sanomat if the speed had been 80 km/h the fine would have been only 115 Euros.

Looks like these extra 2 km were critical and cost him more than a brand new Porsche 911 GT3. In his case 20 km more would have been a standard fine, but these 2 extra kilometers made the difference.

Why such a huge speeding ticket? In Finland fines are issued according to ones salary per day. As Mr. Bär was 2 km over the standard fine range he had to pay his 12 days income. If his income in 2007 had been 50 euros a day, then the ticket would have been 600 euros.

It turns out that in 2007 he sold a majority stake in his company and in average made an impressive 9300 euros a day, which translates to a 111,888 euros speeding ticket. Of course Mr. Bär is not happy as his real income today is not that big.

In Finland tax records are public and there is no such thing as maximum fines. The more you make the more you pay!

Original: http://www.globalmotors.net/finnish-millionaire-gets-111888-euro-speeding-ticket/

Thats a damn good system for giving out tickets.

What about if your un-employed, or work under the table. How would that work?

sick im a student…think about how fast i could go with zero income

I’m guessing there are minimum set fines… just no maximum set fines due to income based fines.

that just seems to fucked up to work properly…

what if he was going 250km like my boy in the infinit lol?

Well going upon what I may have correct. The Finnish man made $11,805.083 in that 12 day period. However, according to how they’re calculating it, if 15 km/h over is when this applies it would all come down to how much the guy driving the G35 would have made in that 12 day period.

But than again, I’m sure they have other laws for higher speeds than just 15km/h over so the fine could vary.

Correct me if I’m wrong someone?

The main concern was that in europe - fins, sweeds, the swiss, a lot of them are way to god damn rich, and most those places dont work on a points system, in north america, if we didnt have a points system, what was to stop a millionaire from doing 200km if the ticket was like 200 bucks, he would do it all the time, with no real consequence. so instead of a point system, the fines are based on your income, that way, the margine affecting your bank acct, is the same as if you were, me for example, in canada getting a 80$ ticket for parking on a sidewalk at 3am in hamilton for no more then an hour…which i was pissssssed about… but yea… thats pretty much the most logical answer to that “how does that system work” question

Simply, its all relative to what affects who…, what will make you stop, and if 150,000$ tickets dont make you stop, then you either own a country or mistaken the fine for pennies not dollars/euros.

man…if that was the law… just go as fast as u want… as long as ur pay check sucks.
I think they should start using exponents!!
its like a standard fine of… dunno 50$ + $1.20^(# of km/h over)
LOL
so 20km/h over. its 88$
someone figure that out for the g35. AHAHAH

Kimi Raikkonen (Finnish F1 driver, 2007 world champion) received a similar fine to this a few years back but wasn’t able to give an accurate income figure and only ended up paying 30,000 Euros (12 day fine too, which is ridiculous considering that was nothing close to what he made in 12 days).

then consider that a student loan debt payout as soon as u get a job lmao :wink:

learn something new everyday. i dont think thats to bad of a system

$1.20^150 km/h over = 7.53679855 × 10^11

Uh oh, I think he should start saving…