Fixed the STi transmission. Pics on post 130.

was your engine before the BT or after???

that usually makes all the difference in the world…

I figured they would laugh, but im sure you did not take it like a typical customer and go into cardiac arrest right there at the service counter… :lol: (btw that is funny sometimes to watch, but a shitty situation to be in, not to mention it typically happens to kids that beat there cars to death)

Sounds about as fun as removing the tranny on the old Type 85 Audi Quattros. It is as if they built the car around the tranny, think trying to remove an elephant that is somehow in a phone booth.

no. it’s actually easy. Every bolt is simple to get at. The worst part was breaking the axle nuts free. I broke four 1/2" extensions (2 of them were snap-on) a craftsman breaker bar and a shitty cambell-hausfield impact. The next day i brought over my craftsman impact and it took it right off.

With the Quattro’s it’s the downpipe. Removing that thing is 75% of the fun

haha that is shitty, when I did a clutch on an sti I bought the harbor freight 3/4" drive metric rachet/socket set. worked like a dream

The rally car is way easier. Nothing in the way on the thing and the intake manifold is turned around backwards. easy access to just about everything from the top.

a stock rally car. Intercooler is a 2 min job to remove.

Axle nuts can be a pita but they dont need to be removed.

Just pop the ball joint out of the Lower control arm for the length required to pull the front driveshafts off the tranny.

God i hate pulling rally car trannys after Olympus last year.

Nothing more rewarding than lying on a tarp on your back soaked in Gear OIL at 3am.

Its good to see there is no crap in the oil. Just a shift fork shouldnt be that bad.

hmm, didn’t even think about pulling the ball joints… IDK… seems like a pain…

The ball joints can be a pain if your car’s been through a winter…that bolt on the knuckle can apparently snap. Its still a bitch to get them in or out, regardless.

I don’t know why this turned into a “I can get my tranny out faster than you” pissing match, but 3 hours for an STi trans is a damn quick job on jack stands.

Fixed it!

Since it buzzed reverse the teeth engagement collar became SLIGHTLY deformed by the driven reverse gear. I took it apart and used a file to fix the burs on the teeth. I only needed to remove the reverse countershaft. I left the gear stacks intact and on the support plate:

Here is the gear that did the damage. There was very little damage to this side. In fact, there was very little damage at all. The gear teeth are just so hard and fit so precisely, that the smallest burs prevent engagement.

Here is the damaged engagement ring from the backside. You can see the burs on the other side.

This will be a cheap fix. Only cost is time, a tube of anaerobic sealer and some gear oil.

I’m glad to hear it man, cheap and easy…well maybe not too easy but cheap at least.

If you need some help lifting the monster back into place you know the number.

cool. doesnt look too bad. i take it the damage was caused from going from forward gears to reverse and forcing it in?

Brian

now that you have removed material is it still going to engage properly.One thing I know nothing about with cars is transmissions.I figure because the clearances are so precise in a transmission that this would be a issue

yeah. it will be fine. there is hardly any material missing from the engagement ring. It’s just that the small burs prevented it from engaging. I only filed of about .010 or so.

Proper good job, mate. :tup:

nice! thats gotta be a relief saving all that money. What made you take it apart yourself?

Well thats damn good news.

The E30 paint fund lives!

Dan

a couple days labor sure beats a couple grand in cash. :tup:

another reason to be happy you can throw a wrench! :tup:

X…

ugg that looks all too familiar right now :tdown:

good job though :tup: