Fixed the STi transmission. Pics on post 130.

How many street miles will the PPG function like new for? Most similar sounding units need to get refreshed every few thousand street miles.

Depends on how long you’re keeping the car and what you want to put into it.

Rebuild sounds good.Replace sounds really good,if that price doesn’t include a core.

dealer fronts the money for the parts, installs parts, waits to get paid by the mfg

if the MFG rejects the claim, the dealer just paid for said warranty work

the way around this is to have a rep approve the warranty work before hand, but the approval can also later be revoked if the MFG finds out it wanst their fault the parts failed

its all about if the dealer wants to make the $, and if they can hold a straight face to the big dogs on the mfg’s side of things

Case in point: a certian rsx-s that got the missed shift treatment, resulting in the engine going from redline to 12,000+ … i say plus because thats the last RECORDED rpm in the lil black box, but simple math states that final rpm would have been even higher

car was taken to a acura dealership that was slow as shit, dealership pulled some song and dance with acura and said it was a warranty related failure that cause catastrophic engine failure, and the cars owner got 9k worth of warranty work done for free

its all just a game of bullshit and money

y the hell is this shit so expensive? i dont get it, i can buy a built shortblock for less than what it would cost to replace the whole tranny WTF

subaru trannies are all expensive, reman 4eat’s are around 3 grand and they’re in almost every automatic awd subaru

^^^^ gears are all custom made one at a time, hardened polished, shot peened, cryotreated, ect

have an engine block machined out a block of aluminium, then see how much that shortblock costs, lol

pulled out my unit.

I’m going to take it apart and try and fix it myself.

There was NO metal in the oil. None. I suspect bent shift fork.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ctnewman2/wtf1000/stitrans.jpg

If you want a hand with it this Sunday, let me know. I’d like to see the inside of that thing. I can bring a dial indicator, feeler gauges or whatever else you may need.

did you do the uninstall just using jacks, or did you have a lift? Was it a pain taking it out?

:tup: at getting it off last night. Hope its something stupid and you can fix it easy!

did it on jackstands. took about 3 hours or so. it’s really not bad at all. Sounds hard, though.

1. Loosen axle nuts
  2. Loosen lug nuts
  3. Remove upper IC piping
  4. Disconnect transmission electrical plugs, ground and upper trans mount
  5. Disconnect starter.
  6. Remove upper transmission mounting bolts
  7. Remove downpipe-turbo bolts
  8. Remove clutch slave.
  9. Remove clutch fork pivot pin.
  10. Disconnect tension spring and pull up on clutch fork to disconnect from release bearing
  11. Jack car up HIGH
  12. Remove wheels
  13. Remove axle nuts
  14. Disconnect strut pinch bolts, rotate knuckle down.
  15. Drain trans oil (2 locations)
  16. Using a screwdriver, pop the axles out of the trans
  17. Remove axles
  18. Unbolt downpipe, disconnect 02 sensors and remove downpipe
  19. Unbolt driveshaft rear cover.
  20. Unbolt driveshaft rear flange and center support, remove driveshaft
  21. Disconnect shift linkage, REVERSE LOCKOUT, and shift support member
  22. Support trans with jack (it will balance perfectly on the center of the pan. I used a ratchet tie down to hold it tightly to the jack)
  23. Remove lower transmission bolts/nuts
  24. Unbolt and remove transmission x-member
  25. Remove Transmission (may need to pry a bit… it has some tightly fitting dowel pins. Also may need to use a jack to adjust angle of the motor)

:tup: hope its a easy fix

If you know what you’re doing - the Subaru 6 speed can be removed in about 10 minutes on stands. Takes us about 25 in a hotel parking lot :stuck_out_tongue:

somehow i think it’s a little easier on the rallycar…

EDIT: do you have any junk trannies i can scavenge for parts?

is the rallycar using an upgraded gearbox?

quit being a puss, get the dogbox, let me drive it and be dont with the mods on that car allready…

thanks =)

FALSE…

Dealerships sell on average (small dealerships 40-50 cars/month) and (large dealerships 55-80 cars/month) honestly, if they will loose money, they will tell newman to pound salt because they could care less about ONE new STi that he MIGHT buy…

A customers complaint of “i will go elsewhere” is 99.9% of the time met with a responce of “im sorry to hear that, have a nice day”…

trust me, they wont work too hard to keep him…

beck may want to suck his dick, but Subaru could not give two shits :rubicant:

ohh btw, good luck newman :tup:

they did push my blown engine through.

however, i stopped there and told them my trans was fucked and they pretty much laughed.

word… all though having removed one from our rally beater, it is actually extremely quick - and that was rusty–ish and shitty

agree, nobody likes a broken car =(

glad you decided to fix it, I checked the price on the tranny and subaru’s list is over 5,000 bux plus core charge. Some of the parts are available, but for the most part you were correct no warehouses show them, so if you find out whats wrong i’ll see what i can do!