Florida car to Pa

How do I go about buying a car in Florida and bring it to PA. I am going there on vacation and might be getting a car. I was going to drive it back but wasn’t sure how to transfer a Florida title to a PA title? Should I take a PA plate with me? I am lost all my searches on google and others come up with Jack. I just thought someone on here might know.

You should be able to get an “in-transit” tag to drive back. Tell your insurance agent what you are going to do so you will be covered temporarily. The in-transit tag is good for like 10 or 15 days.

I had a title shipped COD before, too. That way I was able to get a PA plate and insurance.

simple, the florida dealer would issue you a temporary tag, sign all of the paperwork, pay the tax here and have a form notarized that you take back to pa so you don’t pay the tax again. take the title back to pa and take it to a messenger office. pretty simple.

What are you getting Jimmy?

A friend of mine still has Florida plates on his car, so I’m kind of curious how this works as well.

College student from FL going to school in PA ?

Put down the bong.

No… He’s from PA. Had the car for a few months now, still with FL tags.

I dont think that would fly.PA wants the tax $$$$,it should be paid here! thats stange if it works the way u said?

That does sound strange but maybe that’s the way FLA does it?

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/ansmotor.html

What are temporary license plates used for?

Florida law provides for a variety of legal uses of temporary license plates. The most common is by motor vehicle dealers to allow customers who don’t have a license plate to transfer to be able to drive their newly purchased vehicle off the lot. The license plates are valid for 30 days, which gives dealers ample time to apply for titles and registrations for their customers.

If you are not a dealer, but you have acquired another vehicle and transferred your license plate from your old vehicle to the new vehicle, a temporary license plates may be obtained from the tax collector’s office so you may demonstrate your old vehicle while it is for sale.

Non-residents also are eligible to secure a temporary license plate for “in-transit” purposes if they purchase a vehicle in Florida and want to drive it back home. However, proof of insurance (from Florida or home state) and sales tax in the amount required by the home state must be paid. If you feel you may be eligible for a temporary license plate, inquire through your local tax collector’s office or the regional DMV office that serves your area.

Either another Golf or and old car or truck not sure yet…

I flew to Florida in 2003 and bought a 1986 Dodge Omni GLHS #064 of 500(haha go ahead and laugh)… so anyways, we transferred the title in Florida and they gave me a 30 day FLA plate. I paid the sales tax to Florida and brought the reciept with me when I registered it here. If there is a difference between PA and FL taxes, you will have to pay it to PA. You will also have to get an Inspection Mechanic to fill out the VIN verification paper… DD-??. You should be able to print it out from the PennDOT website. Its not that difficult, people do it all the time.

yeah, thats the way it works, unless the person doesn’t want to drive it back, but then they would have to pay the tax in pa. basically, if you bought the car here, you pay the sales tax for whatever the rate is for the state you reside in(no more than 6%, which is florida’s rate). fill out and have notarized an exemption form, take it back to pa and have it registered. i know what you’re saying that you would think PA wants the money, but you gotta think that florida does too since it’s sold here. florida has an agreement with every state except for arkansas and mississippi for the sales tax exemption when you bring it into your state and vice versa.

^ If I remember correctly I paid 6% or whatever to Florida, then paid the difference 1% to Pa.

thats exactly what you would have done. if you lived in westmoreland or any other county that’s not 7% you would have only paid the 6% to florida. some states are only like 4% and 5% so that is all we charge instead of the regular 6% for a florida resident.

Why does all this sound like a PITA. lol

Its not a pain at at

After talking to the lady at AAA she asures me Florida is a non notary state and if I just bring the title and bill of sale signed by the owner and take those and the car to AAA and they check the VIN and if all is good you get a plate, registration, and a PA title. Looks like I will give that a shot.

thats how i’ve knone it to be done!