Florida condo collapse

How does insurance works on something like this I wonder

If my house burns down my ins will cover a new build and replace the contents…, but when the whole damn building is now gone, then what?

GoFundme

Condo insurance, covers everything inside the walls.

What about your actual condo itself? Does the building owner collect insurance for the whole building, then you get a portion of that? You have property that technically you sell/buy for thousands, possibly millions… and now you are out of that money? (Not exactly expecting you to know but figured I’d drop this question)

No, there’s coverage for the dwelling also. In this case they would just send a check for the max amount you were insured for.

Interesting tid bit though, the coverage doesn’t cover outside the 4 walls. Like for instance if your siding blew off during a wind storm. Thats the HOA’s responsibility.
So I wonder if they could say they won’t cover this because it was the building itself that came down, and then maybe they would go after the building as a whole’s insurance? Either way their stuff inside would be covered. Just not sure if the total loss would be on the condo owners insurance or the buildings.

2 Likes

Yea, thats where the big money is. Sure you might have 50-100k of shit inside it, but when the condo itself was 500k+…

And in the mean time you’re still paying a mortgage on rubble.

Condo association is just going to declare bankruptcy I’m sure. The lawsuits are going to be overwhelming.

Here’s the deep pockets that will be sued shortly… the Florida building official who 3 years ago said the building was “in very good shape”.

1 Like

New video shows water pouring into the garage right before the collapse.

1 Like

This is just awful. Can’t imagine what those searchers are dealing with.

1 Like

Going back to your $1 you put on the construction nextdoor.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/neighboring-construction-possibly-impacted-surfside-buildings-stability-experts-say/ar-AALFoZq?li=BBnb7Kz

1 Like

I choked up reading that.

2 Likes

Wow that is terrible

the more i read the more it sounds like a perfect shit storm of things that finally caused it to buckle.

Some year we’ll get the final report. Not that it matters for those lost, but maybe itll help prevent this in the future.

2 Likes

Now we’re getting closer to criminal liability…

A bombshell report from October has reportedly revealed that workers at the Champlain South Towers in Florida discovered concrete deterioration and reinforcement corrosion that was so bad that they couldn’t carry out repairs amid concerns they “could affect the stability of the remaining adjacent concrete constructions.”

The nine-page report from Oct. 13, 2020, by engineering firm Morabito Consultants, obtained by USA Today, found that workers from Concrete Protection and Restoration found potentially deep deterioration of concrete near the pool area.

Restoration and repair work “could not be performed” because the pool “was to remain in service for the duration of the work” and because concrete excavation at the location “could affect the stability of the remaining adjacent concrete constructions,” the news outlet reported.

The report — which the paper received from a missing resident’s relative — suggests that information was only being released piecemeal to building owners, making it more difficult to recognize the scope of the problems in the 12-story structure.

Definitely more liability when major problems were reported by an engineering firm but were not acted on nor shared with all the owners/residents. It will be interesting to see how much more info comes out about who knew what and when they knew it.

How does something like that even work?

Are the co do owners supposed to get involved with every problem?

I would imagine there were several oh shit conversations where those in charge say that nobody will want to chip in for repairs.

If someone asked me for such a thing, I would just cut my losses and move. I bet most people would do the same, so its a no win scenario.

Bump. I’ve watched a couple of this guy’s videos on other topics in the past so youtube tossed this in my feed today.

1 Like

And here’s the full 3d rendering breakdown that was mentioned in the other video.

1 Like

Gotta love the internet. I watched a couple things about this and now the internet is nothing but Miami condo collapse recommendations.

This one was really interesting though so sharing. Huge issues being found with rebar in the support columns.

My brother (engineer) once told me that rebar in a concrete structure actually has no weight bearing or “holding together” purpose. That it’s only there because of a perception a structure would be unsafe without it. It’s possible I misunderstood what he said, but does any of that ring true @vq30de ?

That is absolutely false. Beams and columns have different areas which are in compression and tension. Concrete works great in compression but has no tensile strength. Steel reinforcing provides the tensile strength.

Think of a beam with a single point load in the middle. It’s going to deflect down, and the top of the beam will be in compression and the bottom will be in tension. Reinforcing is thus located st the bottom of the beam, and without it, that’s where the beam will fail.

There code defines a minimum amount of concrete covering the rebar. If that concrete cover spalls or deteriorates away, exposing the bar, the bar itself will begin to deteriorate, which will diminish the bearing capacity of the concrete member. Think of all the exposed corroded rebar from the pre-collapse videos from this place…

Interestingly I was involved with a project which was deemed critical and to eliminate the possibility of the bar corroding and reducing the bearing capacity of the concrete, they specified the use of stainless steel rebar. $$$$

4 Likes