Flying to Europe, NYC Layover Options

i will be flying to Europe in June and am planning out my trip/layovers.

currently, here’s my itinerary:

Buffalo (BUF) 07:39am -01Jun, Wed
New York Kennedy (JFK) 08:59am -01Jun, Wed

so i arrive at JFK at 9am, no problem so far. but here’s where i thinking a bit:

LOT Polish Airlines

Newark Liberty (EWR) 06:50pm -01Jun, Wed (Departing)
Warsaw (WAW) 09:45am -02Jun, Thu Nonstop (Arriving)

this means i’m going to have from 9am to 650pm to get from JFK Airport to Newark EWR Airport. i will be traveling with 3 other people (all women: girlfriend, sister, mom. FML.).

my questions are:

my mom (for whatever reason) seems to think that because you book a flight with a few airlines, they will take your baggage from one airport to another (this seems dumb to me in today’s economy). is this true? in this case it’d be from JFK to EWR.

Is a cab the best recommended way to get from one airport to another?

After googling around, I found some shuttle services, but I really don’t want to get to an airport and not be able to get to the next airport on time because some dumb shuttle driver is lost/held up in traffic/whatever. Cabbies will be waiting at the stand (this I am assuming…I have never been to NYC, although this is not my first time flying to Europe by far).

Money pretty much isn’t an issue getting from one airport to another…I just want reliable transport. Time is the issue here, especially since I’m 99% sure I’ll have to lug my own baggage around (and that of 3 women) from JFK to EWR.

Can anyone give some input?

lol good luck with that. Enjoy Jersey. Maybe you’ll get to see Europe some day.

Doesnt the train go from jfk to ewr?? Pretty sure it does

Wjy arent u just flying into ewr though??

what train? amtrak?

i’m not flying into EWR because that’s the way the layovers are set up.

i was able to find a different setup where we’re given wayyy more time to get to EWR.

Fry, i’ve already seen Europe, i’m going again

question now, is that train setup. what kind of transportation is available from the terminal to the train station, besides cabs? shuttle?

2 airports sounds like a fail. Whole day wasted, plus cab fares and all kinds possibilities for delays. Unless it’s a free flight I wouldn’t do it. A few hour layover is one thing, but the whole day, plus you have to switch airports. Just take the train from home to the airport you are flying to Europe from. Saves money and it’s the same amount of time.

X…

Now you’re taking a 10 hour layover to get to an airport that’s a 7 hour drive away? And you think someone is going to pick up your bags, drive them to the next airport, and recheck them?

You need a travel agent.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

:picard: Continental flies direct from BUF to EWR…

Norb, did you use Kayak at all (if you didn’t already buy the tickets)? I highly doubt they will transfer the bags for you… And on the way back in you’d have to pick them up anyways for immigration/customs. I would definitely take a taxi in this case, buses/shuttles/trains always seem to have the most issues, taxi drivers rarely fuck around.

Flying into Warsaw? That is sick! I have a few friends there, would be sweet if you guys were able to meet up with them… I hope to get my ass over there again in September!

They DO NOT transfer bags for you.

This trip sounds super poor. I would never ever do that. Who the fuck put this trip together? Why don’t you just drive to EWR? lol.

this, so much fucking fail.

fly to the right airport. what are you saving, like $50? jesus.

Taking mass transit from JFK to EWR with enough luggage for a europe trip? LOL

you’re talking train from jfk -> jamaica. Then jamaica into penn station. Then a train from penn to NJ and I THINK there is at least 1 stop/switch you need to make in NJ to get to the airport.

A taxi? You know what that would cost? another giant LOL

The cheapest way is probably to rent a car and drive from jfk to newark. But to be honest, that total travel time from buf -> jfk -> ewr is probably longer than driving from buf -> ewr. Why can’t you fly out of JFK to europe?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/509553-jfk-ewr-ewr-jfk-transit-connections-consolidated.html

Good luck

It’s not THAT far, even google is estimating 2 hours 10 minutes with traffic.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=JFK+to+EWR&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.732051,64.248047&ie=UTF8&z=11

The problem being google traffic I believe is real time, and 3pm isn’t 9am.

But yeah, flying into EWR seems so much smarter.

Yeah, it’s not the distance, it’s the traffic. At 9am, it will suck getting on the belt parkway. Multiple bridges in and out of multiple boroughs. Driving it is the smartest option if he is stuck with this 2 airport option.

From that flyertalk forum…

Taxi (Metered)
Go to Uniformed Taxi Dispatcher
$74-$78 + tolls + $15 surcharge On demand
75 - 90 minutes

If I had to do it, that’s the option I’d take. Door to door service. But, can you even get luggage for a 3 person Euro trip + 3 people in a taxi? Better hope one of those van taxis is around.

No, this is just retarded any way you slice it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=buf+to+ewr&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

About a 6 hour drive from Buffalo to EWR. Or you could leave your house 2 hours before your flight from BUF to JFK, fly for 1 hour, spend 1 hour between touchdown and actually getting into the taxi, 1.5 hours traveling JFK to EWR. That’s 5.5 hours to get to EWR. You’ll spend more money flying to JFK and save at most 30 minutes of travel time. Of course then you’ll be stuck at EWR until your next flight which is guaranteed to be way later to leave enough contingency in your schedule to make sure you actually get on the important flight. So you’re guaranteed to spend more time, money, and stress doing this than just driving to EWR.

Or you could just fly to EWR.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Nevermind. I just saw he’s flying to Poland. It all makes sense now.

Yea… just fly to EWR like i said… book the flight separately… CONT flys there 4 times a day from buffalo

if its already booked you need to kick whoever did it in the face