FML V Fractured Patella

So, out at HV last night; 2nd run of the night, still warming up… I catch an edge at the base of Martigras and somehow SLAM my knees into the ice thats there… :mad:

Hobble to Ski Patrol/First Aid… sit there for an hour and watch my knee blow up like a baloon, ice it. Then drive myself to the ER. Guess I’ve got a transverse-fractured Patella… although I can’t see it on the x-rays.

I’ve got a knee brace on now, icing it like crazy, and keeping it elevated. It doesnt hurt at all unless I touch it or bend it past ~60 degrees. Its swollen up pretty damn good though, looks almost like after I had my last knee surgery. :banghead::banghead:

Anyone ever done this before? Healing, duration, etc? :frowning:

i broke the growth plate in my knee 4 years ago. there was so much fluid and shit in there, it took them a month before they could officially say it was broken. and at that point it was too long after to get a cast or wrap it or anything. but that happened in Feb. and i was skating again by May. so 3 months. still wasnt 100% but it was manageable

What kind of xray is it? If its a anteroposterior one it would be hard to see it due to the angle the fracture can occur.

knee injurys suck, get well soon.
Take it easy on the pain meds, I’ve watched too many people lose everything to that shit.

They took 5 x-rays, I have them on a CD for my surgeon. Straight front, 2 angled inward, 1 outward, and one “up” my shin.

Pain meds I know to watch; plus its just 7.5tabs and advil anyways, nothing crazy.

Off Topic: How were the conditions at HV?

I still havnt gone this year…

ouch, i caught air twice and landed both times on ice on my knees on sunday there
i’m still unable to really kneel down, if i can its only for 5seconds because it hurts too much, and it still hurts while just laying here typing, but doesnt hurt to walk

hope u get better soon

I went Tuesday night, they were very good. Good base, low amounts of ice, no bare spots.

Tuesday was pretty damn good. Last night it was pretty beat up for the 2 runs I did…

I went on sunday and it really sucked.

I thought it was pretty icy there yesterday, still had lots of fun though. Some runs were great others were practically all ice. Don’t remember the names of the good ones though since it was my first time there.

Call me next time you’re going!

Late to the party…Sucks about the knee homie. Let me know if you need anything.

Feel better…:tup:

Don’t feel too bad about hurting yourself so soon…

I just broke 3 metacarpals and dislocated 2 or them in my right wrist at KB on saturday night…

My seasons basically over after surgery in a couple hours…

::sitting in er now:: :frowning:

OUCH!

Yea, I get to go see my surgeon this afternoon.

I’m 95% sure it’s not a broken Patella… and leaning more towards that I bruised the bones and re-tore my meniscus.

My knee doesn’t hurt, I can bend it almost 100% without pain, just tightness from the swelling. And the swelling is only on the inner-side of the knee. I haven’t taken any pain meds other than advil for swelling since Wednesday night (when I did it).

Eh, I’m hoping 2 weeks and I can be back on the hill; or should I say preying for it.

Gus - HTF did you do that?!?!?!? land on it?

You have as much luck with injuries as you do with cars. :P:bloated:

Well, great fucking news from my surgeon… No breaks, no tears, no rips, etc. Just MASSIVE bruising. I guess there’s a spot on your knee when if you hit it hard enough it won’t do any damage, but it will cause the entire knee to swell… that’s what I hit…

No restrictions other than whatever I feel comfortable doing… so hopefully I should only loose out on 2ish weeks of boarding!!! :carnut

I love watching boarders catch their edge

Congrats! Leg injuries suck, I shattered my leg a bunch of years back and ended up not skiing for a few years due to it.

pics?