For all you HID ricers with S13s

http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=107
This is the only legit thing I’ve seen to date, and I believe 6054 is the size for the S13 pop up light. It also gives an example of how it should be done, with proper DOT legal projectors designed for HID lighting. So yea, stop blinding the piss out of me with your stupid China kits. If you can’t afford real HID, don’t get HID period.

interesting find.

so these are kinda like “bolt in” for s13’s right?

pretty stupid to pay 1000 for headlights and hid kit…

pretty dxmn ugly for a $1000 kit…
i think i’ll keep the money and stay w/ halogens…

Why do they need to look good?
Your lights are down all the time anyway, and when they are on and up, thery are too bright to notice anything anyway.

They whole point is to create greater visibility, not to look good.

I wouldn’t buy one b/c I don’t need it. But, a bunch of people are buying $400 kits that are utter shit, and they’d be better off spending an extra $600 and getting something that will outlast the other one, actually do a decent job at lighting up the road, not blind everyone to death, and be legal so cops can’t fine you. I saw this, and thought it’d be pretty cool, because even if it’s not your thing, it’s the right way to do it.

but that kit doesnt make it any more legal then the japanese kits… the rule pretty much says that if your vehicle didnt come with hids and you install a kit its at the officers discretion… so please tell me what makes this 1000 kit more legal then the 400 dollar kits?

The fact that it comes with a DOT certificate stating that it’s legal? And the fact that it actually POINTS properly, rather than puts HID bulbs in your regular halogen housing… Read up a bit more on HID if you’re interested, there’s a lot of very useful material out there on it. Running HID without proper housings designed FOR HID is the equivalent of cutting your springs, aka, only people that don’t know any better do it.

show me this law… cus ive NEVER heard that…

that being said… a dealership that sold a qx56 suv that didnt come with hid’s but then retrofitted the hid ballast from the higher model truck is technically not legal.

i dont think so.

GT

id have to find it again but its states something along the lines that if it didnt come with hids from the factory then its not legal… will you get pulled over for having aftermarket or retro-fitted hids… probably not but its just like ride height and exhausts and intakes… sure you can put them on your car and can probably go with out getting pulled over for it but it still doesnt make it legal.

once all the familly dinners and such are over and life goes back to normal for me, ill search for that law.

If you do get pulled over, you get to pull out your handy DOT certificate to prove that it is indeed legal, or take it to court and pull it out then.

Turns out these lights are the same garbage you get in all other aftermarket hid kits.

So basically you are paying like $600 for the housing? I dont really see much sense in that.

Granted, it is annoying, heck even dangerous half the time, when you have some one coming up on you with blinding HIDs, but alot of people seem to do it just for the look. They arent going to drop a G, when they can get their China kit for $200. I guess a good compromise would be pulling the HID off a BMW or something and using the whole setup, projectors and all. I know there are people that will fit the projectors into pretty much any housing that you need. But when it is someone just going for the look, I dont think that they really give a shit whether they are blinding people or not. They will just rock the China kits until they are pulled over.

There are a bunch of cars that have factory HIDs and don’t have projectors, they don’t blind me. (Older TL, Volvos, new Forester, etc.)

this is the same hid kits + a mass manufactured retrofit projectors in the s13 housing…

1g for that is stupid…
-since the hid kit $200-350 …
-projectors (pull from scrap cars) $100-200 …
-and ur skill to cut and fit $priceless

so u can get it done for 300-500 and use the 500 for something else…

Yes but those cars have reflector optics SPECIFICALLY DESGINED for use with HID bulbs.

Much, much different than just sticking an HID bulb in front of a halogen reflector.

Mike, how are these the same? I haven’t read up on them, but they seem to be offering a DOT certificate, unless it’s fake.

talk to DTS he has bosch housings with a 6000k h4 hid kit and his are not blinding.

the kit was bought from me and was used in my a6 non projector housings as well… not blinding…

its all in the way the lights are set up…

GT

its all in how they are set up and also how they are aimed… what people are doing with hids is aiming them too high and using their low beams for their highbeams as well!