Anyone running HID's?

Doesnt matter on what vehicle but perferrably JDM S13 Silvia front end with dual projectors.
What kind of kits are you using? Hoping to find some in Canada…

I’ve never considered them.
I can’t justify $1000 just for higher temp light.

Recent studies show they don’t illuminate the road as far (weird eh?) not to meantion they are annoying to other drivers (times a million if aimed incorrectly).

Stick to Halogen.

HIDs are pretty sick… but just some zenon bulbs at your local aftermarket shop look really good… don’t know what bulb the s13 silvias take but im sure we can get em in zenon here… halogens are boring!

Mcculloch makes HID kits for like $450

Oh man, well designed lighting systems with HIDs are just amazing. After driving my GS for a while i couldn’t go back to my 240. It was just scary. The S14s and S13s with projectors actually have a very nice cutoff. The key to a good lighting system is the cutoff because that determes how much light you can shine directly infront of you without blinding the oncoming driver. A washy cutoff means you have to aim your light further down and it has to be dimmer, meaning you get less light projected further - so you’ll have bright spots but they’ll be right infront of you where you need much less light.

Any sites in Canada that have Mcculloch? Or what shops can I find them at?

The best kits are the High/Low HID kits.

Go gor 4300k, its the brightest light heat range.

i cant remember whether higher is whiter or bluer…

go whiter obviously, for legal reasons.

there were a grip of group buys on various boards for the Mculloch ones, they seem to be okay, i havent heard anything about them really.

i could prolly get them for under $500

Higher is blue-r.
But the cheap ‘fake HIDs’ are blue tint, not high color temp.

blue to green to purple or some shit like that.

http://www.specialtyoptical.com/color_temp33resize.jpg

Any HID’s on a car that don’t come from the factory are illegal. Just for your information. It doesn’t matter what colour, temperature etc… they are illegal, having said that… it’s your choice. :slight_smile: Enjoy.

guys the legal matter of your hid’s is up to the cops discretion on how bad of a day he has had and so on. But from my understanding when I had hid’s is that if you hold a white piece of paper in front of it if its white its legal if its blue its illegal. This is how a cop tested mine hmm i had 8000k xenon and i was good to go!!
But also since cops know nothing of s13’s and s14’s jus be like its stock!!!

Wow, cops actually tested your lights?? I’m running $23 ‘JDM TyTe y0’ fake blues…then again for the past year and a half Scarborough cops haven’t cared so… :?:

'97 240sx had an option to get HID from the factory, didnt you know that?

:wink:

All projector lenses will alter the color depending on the angle you view it from.

Whoa up for a second supa-fly! You mind quoting the HTA section that says HID’s are and illegal aftermarket mod?

• Strength of lamps

(6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that when lighted as required by subsections (1), (2) and (3) they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (6).

• Attachment that affects lamps prohibited

(7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),[list=a:bacb9b6831]

• are coated or covered with a coloured material; or

• have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).[/list:o:bacb9b6831]

All I can find in the HTA

Basically all that says then is you can’t hinder the light in any way but it
doesn’t say anything about improving it as long as it doesn’t abstract others.

Correction: They could get you if they wanted. Under thier own discretion.

Regulations as to lights on vehicles
(21) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) prescribing the type and maximum strength of lights that shall be carried by vehicles, and regulating the location, direction, focus and use of the lights;

(b)    regulating or prohibiting the use of lights on vehicles that automatically produce intermittent flashes of light;

(c)    prescribing types of, or standards for, lamps coated or covered with a coloured material that may be used for the purpose of subsection (7.1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (21); 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (3).

(21.1) A regulation made under clause (21) © may prescribe different types of lamps and different standards for different classes of motor vehicles. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (4).