HID kits worth it???

I am wondering what hid level is allowed in Ontario. i have been talking to many different people and everyone says different things about the laws of them. i hear that 6000K are the only type allowed, or that any type is allowed? what is the truth? Are they actually worth the trouble of the police? is one make any better then another, if so where can i find that type and $$$$?

To be honest, I dont know what the law is but I think 6000k is high enough! keep in mid that 3000k, 6000k etc is just the color temperature and does not mean the higher it is, the brighter. In fact! the higher you go, the lower the output.

I have 6000k headlights and 3000k fogs and have not had a problem with cops or anything. I have friends that have 8000k headlights and same thing, no issues with cops.

I got my kits off ebay and they are the made in china stuff. I dont know if there is any difference but my 6000k kit I have had for just over a year and it looks great and still going strong and my 3000k I just put on and looks great!

they are lgal to what i know i had 8000k and i had no problems. you should be fine

OEM Car manufacturers usually do not venture far beyond, if any at all, 4300K from the factory. 6000K is officially illegal for public roads in North America, however, Philips sells 6000K Ulti D2S bulbs for automotive manufacturers that focus Japanese Markets (Also OEM, NOT aftermarket). The legal limit for specific Kelvin used in an HID setup is shady and seemingly unknown, but I suspect it is somewhere just under the 5000K mark.

It is illegal to use any HID setup in a car that did not have HID equipped from the factory. More specifically, it is illegal to use an HID bulb in a housing that is originally equipped for Halogen Bulbs period. This is the focus of many aftermarket creators of these products, by rebasing the D2S HID bulb with a common bulb such as 9006. It may also be illegal for sale in Canada, such as it is now illegal to sell R12 refrigerant in Canada. All sellers, whether private or public must have R134a, but that is a similar but different conversation.

“6000K is officially illegal for public roads in North America”. that what anyone that sells them say or anyone i talk to, but mean while people buy them and done seem to get cought. i guess its kinda like dark tint, you just take the risk and hope your lucky. Now i have read about self leveling hid are legal, is that true? also is it possible to buy a hid housing to leagalize the install for a 240sx or should i just say risk it? I have been thinking of getting the 4300K or the 6000K.

just risk it! 99% of the cars on the streets just put the bulbs in the regular housing and i have not heard of anyone getting into any trouble yet.

ok sweet thanks for the help.

i got in trouble once. i just had the blue bulb in the oem housing. the cops seen that the bulb was bluw and thought it litted up blue but once i switched on my headlights and it litted up white he let me go. they weren’t hid or anything just figured i’ll share my story lol

now how did they test for blueness? i hear that they hold up a white peice of paper and if its blue its illegal. is that true? cuz some look blue like the 6000k but many people say there legal.

he was referring to the Xenon bulbs that he was using. with it off, the bulb is blue and you can clearly see it through the housing. When they are turned on, they light up white. That’s how the Xenon bulbs work.

for the HID bulbs, anything past 4300K will give off a slight blue light and the higher K you go the more blue. It’s clearly visible.

I think your too concerned about the HID and getting into trouble from cops.

If you just want functionality of lights that brighten up the road, then get 4300K. It will look like your original headlights but brighter, and it won’t be distracting either, as long as the aim is correct.

yea your right im just curious. ive come to a conclusion thanks

I had a cop say that as long as the light colour does not come from tinting the bulb they let it go…
he also said that a tinted bulb that lights up white is fine too…

worrying about colour is a little confusing for me as some BMW’s come with the purple look lights and I have seen the blue all over the place in audi’s and porsche’s…

that being said I also know people who’s lights are practically poited into other drivers eyes…(almost on purpose)…and thye have never gottena ticket.

I’d so NOT be worried about cops catching an HID kit… if you get tagged with it its cause youve mouthed off to a cop on a rampage against the freshly hairy

^ yea the would most likely ding you then but im sure its something you could fight and win in court because its a subject that is so fishy