for those that have quit smoking...

well… I’m finally gonna do it. Yesterday I only had like 3 and today none (and I dont plan on having anymore). I’m trying to stop BEFORE the new year

I’m doing ok for the most part, until I think about it, which makes me want one like mad. I almost just caved a few mins ago but started chewing on a coffee straw which seems to have helped a little.

I’ll tell ya though… just from not smoking my usual pack a day, my lungs already feel better (not to mention the crazy shit I was coughing up in the shower this morning). I feel a little buzzed though from not doing it… kind of wierd.

anyway, what helped you quit? What helped take your mind off of it? I think that if I dont notice I’m not smoking, I’d be better off.

any help welcome… smoking is evil

nothing helps you take your mind off of it. its there, and always will be. you have to not want to smoke

damn, I wish I could just get knocked out for like a year and wake up not wanting them anymore :frowning:

been smoking for 10 years… bout time I suppose

what realy helped me is when i was on painkillers for a few days, the one day i slept like 14 hours straight … woke up hardly needing a cig

ive since broke down again … fuck …

but im getting better at quiting every time i try … its only been like 2 months total since the first time i REALY decided to quit …

the quiters patch or gum im sure would make a big difference, if its a possibility

avoid the things that make you want to smoke. there are things that trigger it… the worst was the drive to and from work. that was the one thing i couldnt avoid.

I quit May 15th. It sucks and every day is a struggle. Everyone around you needs to be on board, because for the better part of a month, you will be an intolerable prick.

As far as the mechanics of quitting, i used the nicotine lozenges. They taste like shit and make you hiccup uncontrollably and they make you slightly nauxious. They do help with the headaches cravings and shakes. I also was not without altoids, blow pops, jolly ranchers, and double bubble. (I associated peppermint gum with smoking) The first 2 weeks are really really bad. The first month you think about breaking down alot but after that it gets easier.

Best of luck, its easily the best thing I’ve ever done.

You could always get hypnotized. Worked amazing for my grandpa some years back. Used to smoke like a chimney but then after that he never did again.

:word:Best answer.

If you want to stop you will. People who have tried and said they cant stop never wanted to quit in the first place. Hardest thing is breaking the habit, like smoking and driving, smoking and drinking, smoking and smoking. Once you break that its done and you will breath easy. Remeber though if you realy want to quit you will. Granted smoking does have physical dependencys I feel its 90% mental.

well i find sucking cock helps

:stuck_out_tongue:

I was never a hard core smoker but I was a drunk chain smoker…The best thing you can do is tell your friends not to let you smoke, then you take shit every time you try. Make it public, announce that your not smoking…then when you start again you have to take shit from everyone…it’ll keep you from wanting to start again.

as said before, you have to WANT it. otherwise it wont happen.

it cant just be some half assed attempt to impress yourself/someone

get some lortab or something to replace the cigs for a month… fun stuff anyway

trust me… I really do want to quit.

but I’ve also really wanted to quit in the past. Alls it takes is one night of drinking only to wake up with a half empty pack of smokes in your pants pockets lol

I think I’m going to stay sober on new years to help with relapsing. thanks for the help peeps

edit: violator lol… hook me up :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

packaday for ~11 years here.

quit cold turkey about 3 months ago.
havent wanted one in about 2 months.
come to think of it, i cant remember the last time i had an urge.

You have to get WANT to QUIT.

For me the first couple of days were rough - what I did was remind myself everytime that “I don’t fucking need these things, i dont want my kids/wife to watch me die of cancer, i’d like to run a mile without coughing up a lung again, I hate being “addicted” to anything”.

btw-the coughing stuff up lasted the first couple of weeks for me. then goes away for the most part.

I feel TONS better already.

Good luck, enforce Your GodDamned WILL POWER :slight_smile:

:tup:

I was doing like a pack to a pack and a half a day. I just want to live long, so i quit.

Just dont use the excuse “today is stressful, i need smoke” everyday is stressful, smoking doesn’t solve anything

that was my problem, I would justify smoking because I was in college, and stressed out, but really I was just a little bitch

so one day I just quit, it was like early october or something, but I have had the occasional drunken ciggarettes but now they make me feel like shit and I can’t even smoke half of one.

Oh yeah, stay away from all of your friends that smoke

i’ve just recently started trying to quit.

i found this helps.

smoke about 1/2 of a cigarette…put it out.

then when you have a craving…smoke the second half.

The next day smoke 1/3. Put it out.

The Next two cravings you have…smoke the next 2/3’rds.

Its an easy way to get yourself down to 1-2 cigs a day…then just quit.

cold turkey > weening yourself off

truer words were never typed./

have some faith in the advancement of modern medicine…they’ll come up with a cure by the time I get teh lung cancer…

try the nicotine gum…then move to regular gum