Quitting Smoking

I do not know how many people on here used to be smokers but its a pretty hard process to quit. Within the last 2 days Ive had two hits off a cigarette. Im not really on edge to much but, all I see or think about is smoking. Dunno just needed to vent a little.

but u will still smoke whiteys pole?

I feel you man. I’ve been trying to quit for a while now. Sometimes I can go a month or two, sometimes only a day or so. It’s tough…especially around beer…my self control is downright sad.

Props for trying though, you need all the support you can get.

Good luck, man.

I quit chewing in March of this year. Dropped it cold one day. Just find a replacement for smoking. gum and lifting helped me keep my mind off of it.

first 3 weeks were the worst.

I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 33 years. I quit in November of 2004, and have not had a single puff since(and never will). I used the nicotine lozenge, and it REALLY helped a lot. I got the 4mg ones and broke them in half (they come in 2 and 4mg sizes and are the same price for either). It is not easy, nicotine addiction is nasty. The first few days aren’t the worst…at least for me it didn’t really get nasty until the end of the first week. after 2 full weeks it started to get progressively easier. The urge will still hit you to light up, especially after meals or when you are kicking back a cold one. After meals is easy, just use a lozenge. Drinking is a bit harder, you will need willpower. But it is well worth it. You can save a lot of $$.

I’m really an alcohol&smoke guy. Absolutely no desire to smoke in the morning or any other time I’m not drinkin’. But, if I’ve had a few tasty beverages, it’s time for a cig or two. I have a feeling it would be easy to give up smoking for me. Giving up dip, on the other hand, would probably kill me unless I switch to mint leaf, non-nicotine substitute.

i really wonder if its oral fixation, or just all that crap thats in a cigarette that makes you crave them.

haha!

I think its both. I used to smoke a pack a day. I havent even come close to quitting yet, but yesterday I smoked 5 cigs. My roommate is a nonsmoker so when we got our place, I stopped smoking inside. Not having an ashtray and smokes right next to me definitely helps…I dont think about it as much. Quitting smoking is about breaking regular habits. Unfortunately, I dont have the will power or self control. Someday though.
Good luck and keep up the strength. I have the upmost respect to those of you who have quit.

I love the irony of people that quit smoking…then start chewing…thats soooo much healthier. Congratulations!!!

I have respect for the people that never start the shitty habit to begin with.

I just don’t get it. Everyone says that smoking will give you cancer and is not healthy for you at all, but yet people still take up the habit. :nuts:

I can understanf old people still smoking, it was not known when they started how bad it really is, but anyone 50 and under is retarded for taking it up to begin with.

i only smoke when set on fire

in bowling green

:rofl:

:rofl:

your being emo on a berad level…

From age 15 - 19 I smoked and gradually was up to about 1.5 packs a day. In high school it was a reason to smell like smoke instead of other things and gave me an excuse for a smoke break working construction. I would of quit eventually, but the reason I stopped cold turkey was from a blood clot in my lungs. At the time it wasn’t known why I got it, but since smoking was one of the probable causes - I was done. It was 7 years without touching one this past August. The smell bugs the shit out of me after the first month or so. I always wonder how I could of enjoyed that.

I would definitely reduce smoking before trying to quit - if you are a pack a day type of person. I just quit 4 weeks ago. For the first two weeks I would take a few hits here and there, but now the cravings are completely gone! EVERY once in a while, I feel the need for one after eating. I just chew on a piece of gum instead.

Good Luck - its no nice not being dependent on anything.

I have quit a few other bad habits in the last month as well. The first 2 weeks were awful. I feel like I’m on a natural high now. So nice!

Also, try and get some exercise done, that has definitely helped me. I have been pumping my body full of supplements and working out. You won’t even feel the need to smoke after a while.

I used to smoke 3 packs a day and quit in 1999. It is something you have to want to do. Me my encouragment was 3 weeks in the hospital ( not smoking related ) where I wore the patch and my mother having cancer. Do I still crave a smoke , you bet your ass everyday I think about lighting up.Good luck and don’t give in to the cravings.

Quitters never win!