Ford 4.6 Questions:

Ok my girl friend has a totalled 2000 crown vict sitting in her garage with a perfect 4.6L in it.

I know where a 1998 f-250 is for sale with a blown motor.

Question: Will the 2000 crown vic 4.6 bolt into the 1998 f-250 with out any problems?

Thanks guys.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318045&highlight=engine+swap

maybe some help its the same swap but its backwards…assuming the 250 has a 5.4

The F-250 also has a 4.6L

It would be a 4.6L to 4.6L swap. I just don’t want to buy the truck and find out it has a different bolt pattern to the tranny or anything stupid.

Yes it will work.

The 4.6L truck has the truck intake manifold, the car has the plastic one on it.

There are two different flexplate bolt patterns, a 6 bolt romeo and a 8 bolt windsor.

No matter what you get, you can just get a flexplate to match your application, and bolt up the motor.

The 2000 crown vic motor is going to be the non PI motor, they didn’t get the new heads/cams until the 2001 model year.

Same deal with the 98.

Post this question on the crown vic site, but you definitely can make it happen.

I had a 2001 bullitt mustang motor in my 96 thunderbird for example.

^ pretty much what he said. i believe the heads MIGHT be different as well. definitely the intake and flex plate though, you actually might be able to swap that from the bad f250 motor as well as the intake. there might also be a few minuscule sensors and stuff that might be different too.

A friend of mine started to do a explorer engine swap into a crown vic and i believe he had to swap the oil pan, timing cover, intake, and intake related parts. But should be cake since it would be like a short block swap.

yeah exactly, think of it like you are building a longblock out of two motors.

yo josh, these trucks may require the body to be lifted off the frame, it’s only 10 bolts but a lift is needed.

That would be very gay. It that was the case I’d just throw on a 3inch body lift while I was at it. We shall see.

That is how the ford techs replace a motor (or sometimes even rethread a head) on the ford trucks.

They pull the body off the frame with a lift.

My uncle’s independent shop in columbus doesn’t have a lift, and he had to replace a motor in a 98 f150. He said it was a pain in the ass to get the motor out of the truck without taking the cab off it.