Ford flex?

Looking into purchasing a new family hauler,forester isn’t cutting it for me.Thought about going mini van but then came to my senses so was thinking ford flex is basically a nicer more manly mini van.Anyone have one or experience of them?

There are a few guys on shoforum with ecoboost ones, and they seem to like them a lot. One of them runs big 12’s and so faslr has no had no failures but he did encounter the computer going into limp mode because excessive slip was detected on the PTO clutch when he launched at the drag strip. He solved this by putting drag radicals on the front wheels so less toorque would be applied to the PTO clutch driving the rear wheels. It is his daily driver and he really seems to enjoy it. I have not seen many complaints regarding that platform I would suggest looking on shoforum and reading up on the car slash SUV hearse thing.

^Uhhhhhh… Wtf

I still think a escape awd ecoboost or a f150 crew cab ecoboost are good choices

why would someone who is considering a minivan or a elongated weird suv thing want a pickup truck or a super small suv that is the same exact size as their current forester? top notch suggestions Why don’t you just suggest a subaru brz while you’re at it

I already told him my opinion and he has a car trailer so why not Finally get a truck. Flex is a good choice IMO I just think it’s funny looking.

Toyota Venza.

My dad has a lincoln mkt eco boost. Its essentially a dressed up flex, nice car. No complaints from it, Id say go for it

Ecoboost f150 is 37-40 thousand

The trailer is not mine it’s my buddies with the f250 super duty.I drove a Venza and didn’t like it that much.

Things you might not care about but the aftermarket is fairly strong on the ecoboost cars right now.

flex running 12’s

downpipes

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=123989
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=124956

first car with upgraded stock turbos

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=124500

Here is a graph from Darreli’s 2010 SHO.

The car has the following mods:

Livernois Motorsports Catted Downpipe
Livernois Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
Corsa Exhaust
CAI

The factory turbo housing was modified and it was fitted with a larger billet wheel.

Before numbers were 277 WHP / 371 WTQ after numbers were 435 WHP / 521 WTQ. (If you get rid of the initial spike in the baseline, it made 330 WTQ stock)

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg324/LivernoisMotorsports/shoturboupgrade.jpg

Looks at the gains… it’s up 190 WHP / 225 WTQ at 6,250

The car has been a best of 12.00 @ 117 mph in the 1/4 mile, but even with 4 drag radials spins through 3 gears since he can’t heat them up.

Thanks for looking!

-Rick

livernoise was working on CNC head porting. I don’t know what ever came of it. They gained something like 30 or 40% increase in total flow and said that it does not always mean big gains. I would assume it is still in the works. livernoise also offers forged pistons but I don’t think anyone has broken one with a tune. At least not that I know of.

Intercooler:
I am not aware of any upgrade

DI fuel pump:
I am not aware of any upgrade

transmission:
no reported failures other than new car failures right off the line (very rare on the forums I think there was 2 cars with PTO clutch issues when they were new) no upgrades yet

I love my EcoBoost truck, runs 12s with stock 20s. I’m putting on some 34" tires this week so I’m guessing my 1/4 mile will do down a lot haha.

The truck has an intercooler upgrade, not sure if that is a direct swap or not for the flex.

the trucks are running 12’s already? that is impressive!

is wagner the only intercooler on the aftermarket right now for the F150? it is not the same intercooler setup on the SHO/flex

edit: I guess that answers that question. I thought they had the only one so far

http://www.wagner-tuning.com/Ford-F-150-Ecoboost-EVO-Intercooler_p_63.html

Wow makes me want a f150 now with ecoboost more now, and that’s cute that it’s 37-40grand I have family that works for ford… If I was going to drop that much I’d buy a evo x.

I like them, but they do get expensive fast when you throw options on them.

Yah there are a few different bolt ons to get you into the 12s easily. There is a shop here in Houston with a 500+whp screw…

I believe Full Race is offering or will soon be offering modified stock housings with larger impellers for upgrades. I wouldn’t be surprised to see trucks in the upper 11’s with larger turbos, intercooler, meth and full bolt ons…

12.72 @ 109.01, TurboPete, Screw, 2WD, 3.55, Offroad Y-pipe, 4" Exhaust, AFE Stage II, Nitrous Proflow Kit (~65 shot), SCT Custom Tuning.
12.874 @ 103.44, Rick@Livernois, Screw, 4WD, 3.55, Livernois offroad downpipe, Livernois 93 Tune, 170 deg Tstat

this thread is about what the OP is looking for. no one really cares what kind of car you want. Why don’t you sell him your minivan that you drive and then you can drop 40k on an evoX

OP types: looking for a new family hauler

Internet reads: looking for a race car to occasionally take to grocery store.

he asked for experience I listed mine. I lurk in the Gen 4 SHO section and there are a handful of flex guys in there. It is the same platform.

I have a fun car so like I posted just want a nice family vehicle.Also I already bought one of Evans cars and fixed his mistake can’t do it again haha