ford headlight wiring / highbeam switch question

1991 lincoln mark 7

got a replacement multifunction switch for the colm, as the old one had some internal damage (highbeams and squirters didnt work)

took the old one apart, and there were broken wires and bad contacts, put the new new-used on it, highbeams worked properly at first, now they dont

when u pull the lever towards you to flash the highbeams they come on as they should, when u push the lever forward it clicks into place properly, but the highbeams dont come on.

is it a switch problem again, or is there someplace else i should be looking ?

(god i hate doing electrical repairs)

Thread moved.

Is she seriously considering driving that in the winter. FFS, she can’t even get into a car without hitting something.

Anyways more on topic:

Most for the ford wiring was standardized around that time frame. The power should be going to the headlight switch, from there it will go into the multi-function switch. At which point it goes to the head-lamps.

Make sure the main switch is both getting power, and distributing it to the MF-switch. In one direction it should turn the high-beams on regardless (flash to pass in some schematics), so there should be a wire that is always hot when the key is on. Which I remember correctly is one of the ones coming off the headlamp switch.

If that is hot, and you have no high-beams when you try to “flash” them then test from the MF-switch harness to the head lamps to make sure a wire didn’t get damaged/disconnected somehow.

To test the switch itself, use a multi-meter and the schematics to find out which pins should be closes when it’s in the high-beam position.

headlight switch on the dash works fine

lowbeams work fine

flash-to-pass works fine

everything else on the multifunction switch works fine, except the squirters, but thats not a problem w/ the multifunction