Free 100$

Link says it all… I was pretty pumped.

WTF?

HUH?

:word:

Wait…

What link?

I’ll wait to see the link before I make up my mind…

way to check ur post matt. :tup:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/27/gas.rebate/index.html

hahahahaha my bad guys…

Probably won’t happen because of the Refuge = Oil rider they put on.

Like $100 will really make a big difference. Pass some legislation that kicks the greens in the balls and lets big oil build some more refineries. That would actually make a difference in the price.

:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:

Just take all that money and make gas cheaper.
or do something productive with government funds.

Make “Big Oil” pay the proper taxes and you that money to reduce the tax you pay at the pump, which will reduce the price. Or, let them drill in ANWR, but they have to pay 20% off of all gross sales to the government to reduce the price we see.

lolol you are HILARIOUS!!!

seriously, did you just use the words “productive,” and “government funds” all in the same sentence!!! bwaaahahahahahaha look out dane cook, this guy is funny…

on a more serious note…um, go sabres

too bad it is our own money we are getting back, they gotta think of something better than that

I think Taxes could be brought down a bit on this. What I also thought was funny… look at the date in teh graph compared to the price they are talking about. I barely remember that price.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/gas-price-breakdown.gif

be nice to pay that…remember may last summer like 1.79

i would rather have lower gas prices than get this $100 rebate. but i’m not gonna pass it up if they offer it.

I should know by now that the news likes to blow stories out of proportion because really bad news = more ratings, but the gas thing is getting stupid. I have no problem with them talking about the trickle down effect of high gas on goods and services, because that could really hurt the consumer.

What I’m REALLY getting tired of is them interviewing John Q Moron while he’s gassing up his car bitching about how the cost of gas is making such a huge dent in his budget. Lets look at some numbers.

As a base:
14000 miles per year.
25 mpg car.
560 gallons of gas per year.

If you don’t fit in that that, it was your choice to either drive more than the average, or own a low mpg vehicle.

At $2.25/gallon, you spend $1260 a year in gas.
At $3.25/gallon, you spend $1820 a year in gas.
That’s $10.75 a week more, or $46 a month.

Sure, $46 a month is nothing to just throw away, but hardly enough that if you’re living within your means that you have to start pawning your worldly possesions like these idiots on the news. And lets not forgot these calculations are based on an entire dollar jump per gallon. If you can’t afford an extra $46 a month you probably should start looking at the rest of your budget. You’ll probably find that maybe you shouldn’t be spending 2-3 grand a year on car mods, or several hundred dollars on console games, music, or dvds.

The other laughable thing is that politicians, both left and right, think their grandstanding is going to do something about it. Guess what, the price of a barrel of oil is an INTERNATIONAL PRICE. No short term grand standing trick (stop filling the reserves, drilling in anwar, caps on profits etc etc) is going to change that. As long as oil is in the $70/barrel range, gas will be in the $3/gallon range.

Finding a political solution to the Iran nuke issue would make a huge difference. So would finding a way to cut our usage by %15. In that way though, high gas prices just might be the answer. The higher the price goes the more people think about conservation, which is the only way we’re going to lower our usage. But $3.25, as my numbers show, that won’t really be enough to change people’s habits. They’ll bitch, but they’ll still drive to work/school in single occupant vehicles, they’ll still go “cruising”, they’ll still go autocross, they’ll still drive what they drive now. Maybe the full size suv guy steps down to a mid size, and a few small car people buy hybrids, but you won’t see lines at the local car dealerships as everyone fights for high mpg rides.

Diesel is one answer, and I don’t understand why NOBODY supports it. Hell, NY state you can’t even buy fucking diesels for some shitheaded reason.

I agree, high gas prices really don’t have a big effect on individual consumers at the level of driving.

I was however going to draw up an example of potential costs to a small business, but as I was calculating the numbers, I thought ‘Hey, if your business costs go up $5k/yr and you can’t cover that, you shouldn’t be in business.’

Then I figured where the real pain gets felt by consumers and businesses alike. Shipping and travel. I’m no expert on FedEX or if they get their fuel at a discounted rate or whatever (but now I’m going to look into it), but their costs have got to be skyrocketing.

On another, unrealted note to the specific topic, but something I’ve been wanting to put out for debate…SUVs, Pickups, etc… Americans clearly aren’t going to stop driving them no matter what. So here’s what I suggest. Congress passes a law that would require all “trucks” to be diesel by like 2008/9 (it’s not like it would really be a hard thing for the car companies to do). Then you get the biodiesel movement really going, not through exxon or whatever, but local community driven projects that get direction and assistance from a national group. In a perfect world, maybe there would even be a small profit that would be reinvested into the local community. Just one idea I’ve been thinking about…

Anything that means less money for oil companies will end up not happening, because Big Oil lobbies harder (more money) than Green groups. It will inevitably have to change, when oil is more scarce and expensive. What Big Oil should do is start to produce bio-diesel and E85. They have the refining and distribution chain, and they can get it out there fast and cheap. They wouldn’t loose any money, and their public image would get better.