The uselessness of a Gas Tax Holiday

Not only would we be cutting thousands of jobs by removing funds from the Highway Fund, but no one would really save that much.

Don’t believe me? Here’s a handy calculator:

http://www.jabberwonk.com/flinker.cfm?cliid=13lkzo

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 3750 miles. At 18 miles per gallon, you will burn 208.3 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $38.33

NOW, in fairness it would make a pretty significant impact on trucking. Although how much that impact would really benefit the overall US economy I don’t know since it’s literally robbing peter to pay paul

good reporting joe, not worth it

If the tax is removed the price will go up anyway.

BING…

that # has to come from somewhere… if they dont get us on the gas tax, they will get us on income/property taxes…

and if they didnt, and “borrowed” more $ to support it… then the dollar would tank again…

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 4500 miles. At 23 miles per gallon, you will burn 195.7 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $36.01

Sweet, this tax relief will buy a round of drinks :bloated:

Not to mention without cutting spending they will just raise something else to cover the defecit.

Too bad the simpletons are too bloody ignorant to notice this and it will go through because noone will want to be the one responsible for keeping it in place.

Gotta agree with Joe here, there just isn’t enough benefit.

Honestly though, I don’t think it will happen anyway. Especially with the market showing signs it’s going to correct oil prices on it’s own.

Wasn’t this McCain’s idea to begin with?
Isn’t he the guy who admited, “I am an economic retard?”
Ok, I am para-phrasing a bit.:stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, this is purely pandering to the average stupid American for votes. You know whoever pulled it off would hit the stump with the “I lowered your gas prices 20 cents a gallon, vote for me” speech an hour later.

Positives:
$30-40 savings
Cheaper trucking costs that will likely not be passed on to the consumer

Negatives:
Shortage in highway fund
Encourages increase in quantity of oil demanded
More borrowings and government debt
Temporary cut- when re-instituted, prices spike again

McCain was the first of the three to propose it, Clinton immediately echoed it. Obama said the truth that it’s a gimmick and not anything close to a real solution

The problem is these kind of proposals are directed at the majority of americans who are FUCKING MORONS.

That’s because only less than 10%(Ron Paul supporters) have a grasp on simple FUCKING addition and subtraction.:smiley:

:word: x11tybillion

We did the math on this a few weeks ago JoeS.

:tup:

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 1500 miles. At 19 miles per gallon, you will burn 78.9 gallons of Gasoline.
Your Total Tax Relief would be $14.52

I WANT MY $14.52!!! :rofl:

i’ve hated this idea from the start. Fucking ridiculous. The shitty part is, some stupid people are going to see this, and love it thinking it’s the best thing ever.

Those tax dollars have to come from somewhere…

Yup, and that is why I’m voting for Obama. I’ll take someone that tells the truth for president, please.

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 27000 miles. At 38 miles per gallon, you will burn 710.5 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $130.73

sure its going to benefit someone, it is an election year after all!!

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 15300 miles. At 38 miles per gallon, you will burn 402.6 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $74.08

ehh 170 round trip a day