The uselessness of a Gas Tax Holiday

Wouldn’t gas prices rise then anyways because more people will be filling up? Either way my votes for Obama over the other 2 numbskulls.

This leads me to believe that Obama might actually be able to change some of the stupidity in washington. The nation is going to be back in a huge deficit when a new president takes over from bush who took over with a 200 billion dollar surplus and turned it into a projected 400 billion dollar deficit. Great idea to hand out 600 rebate checks to all Americans when your already in the red from your spending. People dont think where the money is coming from, just duh im getting 600 dollars george bush is great. I rather not get a 600 dollar check and pay less for everything because the dollar is strong.

Collins was on the news yesterday stating that he would not pull the county gas tax for the summer. I totally agreed with his decision and everything he stated. Is simple math again, where are you going to get revenue from when you take it from somewhere else. If you take away gas tax revenue your going to put the county into further debt or have to raise taxes somewhere else.

Fuck you commie bastards. I’m going to take my $32.85 and stimulate the economy like a good american.

:io:

^ You just won’t have any decent roads to drive on.

That’s fine. I’m a real american. I drive an SUV to work, not one of your little communist girly cars.

Anyone know any more about what Hillary’s plan was for this gas tax break? I read some where that McCain just said “lets cut gas tax” and Hillary said something to the effect of “lets cut gas tax, and get the money back from oil companies making increased profits over a certain %” or something like that. Anyone know more?

Of course, I am not an economist, but that might have a different/worse back lash. I’m not naive enough to think “Lets take money from the oil companies! They’re gouging!” I know its more deeply rooted than that. On the other hand it might be a sound idea instead of the gov’t completely giving up tax revenue from gasoline.

I blame you bastards for the SHITTY roads in the south towns.
They think everyone drives a pick up truck or Suburban so they don’t bother making the roads even CLOSE to smooth.:rant:

Another reason why I choose Obama. Hillary and McCain are pandering old politics and games. Nothing but fluff bullshit to get ahead. Obama has more character then both of them put together.

BTW: Obama experienced a gas tax cut when he was senator. This was done once before. There results were inconclusive… meaning it did not do shit except fuck up the existing budget.

It’s funny when I see both Clinton and Obama both pitching the idea of profit taxes on the oil companies. Maybe they need to ask McCain, someone who is old enough to remember what the WPT of the Carter administration actually did to domestic oil production. If you want to fault McCain and Clinton for pitching a stupid economic idea to cater to stupid American’s you certainly have to do the same for Clinton and Obama for their profit tax plan. All their doing is taking the sentiment that big oil is bad and pitching a vote grabbing plan to build on it.

http://www.taxhistory.org/thp/readings.nsf/cf7c9c870b600b9585256df80075b9dd/edf8de04e58e4b14852570ba0048848b?OpenDocument

Basically, the WPT (windfall profit tax) killed domestic oil exploration and is the reason we’re so dependent on foreign oil today.

Something you should really read before vomiting back up the sound byte of “big oil is bad”.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/earth/4254875.html

Big oil is going to find us the oil we need to survive until science can find us a real replacement for oil (not stupid political science like ethanol).

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 10500 miles. At 29 miles per gallon, you will burn 362.1 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $66.63

While not exactly the same, i have this argument with my parents all the time who will drive 10 miles to save 5 cents per gallon. For one the extra gas burned negates the savings, and with a 20 gallon tank, your only saving 1$ per fill up. Plus, once the taxes are gone, the oil companies will take the prices back up.

Whatever we say wont change anything anyway, so why bother complaining…

on the radio this morning they said that if all federal tax and all state and county and local tax were lifted on gas we would be paying $1.60-1.70 a gallon.

True, it’s not like there is just one tax.
There are actually several taxes at different levels.

^If you abolish those taxes, the gov’t will lose a ridiculous amount of funding…

edit - Okay, see below.

^In all fairness that statement is not totally accurate.
EVERYTHING is taxed in one way or another so if the money is spent elsewhere it is infact taxed.

Do you really think all of those profits are going into R&D and not lining the pockets of executives, lobbyists, and politicians? The status quo is making big oil fat and happy, and will continue to do so for the time being. They’re not going to get resourceful until they have to. I’d support an exemption from the WPT for companies who got x% of their product from domestic sources or spent x% on R&D for real emerging energy sources, but if not, fuck 'em.

Okay, I’m sorry.

In 2004 368,385,000 gallons of Automotive fuel oils were consumed in ERIE county.

1,009,273 gallons per day (altho I’m sure consumption has gone up)
$1.60 in total taxes in erie county per gallon (todays radio figure)

$1,614,836 in total taxes paid, per day,in erie county.

This is obviously a very rough figure. But I think it should convey the point. :gotme:

Makes you sick how much they tax it huh?

What pisses me off is I believe most of them are a percentage, so as the price has shot up the county, state and federal goverments have made a whole lot more on the tax than they were expecting. I’d support seeing them put a cap so they could only tax the first $2, and adjust that $2 each year based on inflation. Governments still get the tax money they had been planning, but don’t get to rape you because there is a pipeline problem or international conflict that affects supply.

lol, you should read the PDF link I posted.

70.16 WOOT :roll:

Then add in the 59.6 cents/gal for NY state

My point is if people save money on gas taxes they will have more to spend on other things which will create more tax revenue and a stronger economy.
The problem is still the government spending though.:smiley: