Friend picked up a 93 SI Hatch, has problems

Its a 93 Civic SI Hatch

the speedo is all over the place, sometimes works, sometimes not.
does anyone have the voltages that the VSS should be sending out?

The temp gauge will start out at “C” then right as you turn on the car, it jumps to “H” even if you just turn on the battery and not the engine.
Does anyone know where the temp sensor is located and what voltages i should be seeing??

im thinking it could also be the gauge cluster.

the speedo is probably from the transmission end of the line, check that for corrosion.

when the car is running is the temp sensor fine?

i wish i still had my civic cluster, we could toss it in and see if it’s the quick fix. good luck.

no the temp gauge is not fine, its at “H” all the time when the car is on.

has coolent and is not overheating.

you could have some bad traces on the back of the guage cluster circuit. Sounds like you should swap in another cluster and see what happens.

I get that from time to time with my spedo. I took the VSS apart and cleaned it. Seems to be ok since I did that.

this sounds like a really common problem. on 95accordvtec’s car we had so many funky wiring issues like this it was unbeleivable. we tried replacing the cluster and that wasnt the problem. replaced the VSS and that took care of the speedo. replaced the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor and that took care of the temp gauge. the rpms and the reverse lights never coming on is another story.

i have a cluster, no rpms, if ur buddy needs it. or if u want it just to troubleshoot, lemme know