FS or Trade: 98 Dodge Neon rt

Blue book may be $3600 stock, but this car is far from stock. It needs a whole bunch of interior peices and i’m guessing you dont have the stock alloys either right?

I had a 98 r/t and i loved it. I got it to run 15.1 at NYIRP with just an MSD blaster, short ram intake and a tsudo exhaust. :slight_smile: they have alot more potential than an n/a eclipse

i could get all the stock interior peices and yea i do have the stock alloys… the rims on it are only 16’s and there the same weight if not lighter than stock

i understand that but noone like white wheels anymore (if they ever did)

Yeah, if you can put it back to stock, the car will sell for more, and the aftermarket parts will sell on ebay or neons.org really easy.

–mark

[quote=“RedConquestTSi,post:38,topic:36981"”]

I’m confused? I seem to be the one who has roadcoursed a DOHC neon here…

[/quote]

Your car is not a race car. I’m talking about race cars, not street cars. I had a DOHC Neon as well, but it was a street/autocross car. If I were building a race car I would build a SOHC because the DOHC’s cannot win with their handicap.

[quote=“neonglh,post:57,topic:36981"”]

Neon motors are not unreliable at high RPMs.

[/quote]

Yeah, they are. That’s one of the reasons so few race them.

Meh, i don’t see a handicap:gotme:

[quote=“eMKay,post:66,topic:36981"”]

Yeah, they are. That’s one of the reasons so few race them.

[/quote]

Give me one example, not word of mouth.

[quote=“neonglh,post:68,topic:36981"”]

[/quote]

didnt you have the crazy boosted neon?

i trust your word more than anyone elses here. lol

[quote=“RedConquestTSi,post:67,topic:36981"”]

Meh, i don’t see a handicap:gotme:

[/quote]

That’s because you have no clue what you are talking about, here, read and learn…

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=44

SCCA Minimum weight with driver for the SOHC is 2450lbs. DOHC is 2650. There is your handicap.

[quote=“neonglh,post:68,topic:36981"”]

[/quote]

Same goes for you, here, read and learn.
http://www.improvedtouring.com/

I am being argued with by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and feel they have to defend their cars. All Im saying is DOHC’s are not good road course cars, a road course is a type of racetrack use for automotive racing, a sport where similar cars are raced against eachother, with the winner being the one to complete a certain number of laps in the shortest time. It is not similar to a track day or a street race.

I understand that their handicap is not worth attempting to overcome, but from my experience with multiple different Neons, including Mark’s boosted car, I would like to know your justification for saying that they’re unreliable at high RPM.

I couldn’t care less about whether they’re competitive or not in ITA. I don’t think anyone is arguing with you about that (and if they are, they’re retarded and ill-informed). The 200lb handicap is a whole lot to overcome, especially with how fast a well driven CRX can be.

Seriously, as much as I’d like to continue to fill this bucket of BS, we are bitching in a FS: thread. I already mentioned this earlier. Some people just can’t read I guess.

And I wasn’t talking about their weight handicap. I took handicap, as in weak valvetrain.

Mods, feel free to move this, but emKay, you still haven’t answered my question to what makes them unreliable at high RPM. The 3 things I could think of would be oil temperature, water temperature, and spring pressure in the valvetrain, holding up at high rpm’s.

1. oil temperature. You could always run an oil cooler, but even boosted applications running 130+ in the quarter mile are doing fine without oil coolers, so I believe that a road course car with 1/4 the power could get away with out an oil cooler. If they need it, put one on. No different then putting on track pads before a road coruse.

2. water temperature. Stock radiator is good for back to back to back 45 - 155 pulls on the highway, 6 hour road trips, 14 back to back 1/4 mile runs, hotlapping, 700 whp race car, etc… If thats not enough, maybe put in a bigger radiator? Not much different then STi’s and Evo’s putting in larger radiators for track days.

3. spring pressure. Bullshit. There are people running neon valvetrain on cars running low 13’s and mid - high 12’s on motor. That means they are running cams so agressive, it would compare to a helion cam or larger on a big V8 car. To have this type of aggressive cam in a neon, you need valvetrain that holds together, or else you’d 'be fucked. If people can run those radically aggressive cams in their cars, stock valves, retainers, etc… then I think any joe shmoe can run a stock valvetrain car at 6k rpm for a few minutes on a road course.

Call me ignorant all you want. You can stick to your book smarts, and what you read on the internet. I will take my first hand experience, combined neons.org experience from Brent and myself, and actual research and fixes that we have done over the years over anything you read on a website. I have never seen, or heard of any rocker failure on the DOHC motor. I would like to see what would actually break.

And no, I am not defending my car. Neons are gay as shit, there are way better track cars, pretty much… all of them. I am simply arguing the fact that you said they are unreliable at high rpm. I don’t care about weights, or handicaps. I’m just talking about the motor’s capability.

–mark

hmmmm… My dohc was great just didnt care for the 100shot too long lol…

lets get this thing sold!

since this is a FS thread…

id buy it without thinking twice, but somebody needs to buy my conquest first

if i didnt have 4 cars i’d pick up the quest.

thanks steve!!

Bump