fuel pump question

so when i got my car it had a stock(stage 3) fuel pump in it. so i read on the forums that walbro was more reliable and highly recommended for higher boost applications. so i got a walbro 255 and put it in my car. 3 months later it stops working. so i swap the stock(stage 3) one back in my car and now its sputtering and whining. which usually means that its on its way out from what i understand. so now should i go with another stock(stage 3) fuel pump? or go with a walbro again? thanks for any and all advice in advance.

god damn srt 4!

Weird…I know tons of people who run the walbro 255s with no issues…

^^ i know and the walbro gave me no signs of failure it just up and died one day and the car wasnt receiving fuel anymore. the stock one atleast whines and sputters for a day or two before it dies…

I have 255’s in both my DSM’s. One is over 5 years old too.

I have put 255s in TONS of cars. Never once had an issue.

Silly question, but did you change the fuel filter out?

So I think to directly answer your question, you should probably try a 255 again. Might’ve just ran into a bad one.

I was just going to say also…make sure the fuel system is in good shape…as Bacon said, change the filter, have the injectors checked, vac lines etc.

the fuel pump has a filter built into it, no inline filter in my fuel system.

edit:im reading on the srtforums that the stage 3 fuel pump usually only lasts about 20k miles then they start to die out, the walbro must of just been a freak situation…

Kyle, the fuel pump that was in your car wasn’t stock, it was the pump that was for the stage 3 kit. I think it is rated at 180lph. Either way if it craps out on you and you replace it with the 255, keep an eye on your fuel pressure. If it’s still 75psi in the higher boost levels, you might be running too rich.

yea i edited my first post thanks for the advice ill look into that today!

If I was running rich my wide band would tell me wouldn’t it? So my afrs look pretty normal…

what was the finish on the walbro? if it looks like sandblasted non shiny finish, then it was a chinese knock off.

if its shinier, then its a real one.

Brian

if you want to check any of these pump, newera has a fp flow bench. We use a shop car builds, and to test all the “bad” FP people have with other issues not the FPs. Like might be your case. just to tho that out there, not many know about.
Also brian knows whats up there a ton of unknown pumps being sold as “255s” that are junk. We tested a ton of other replacement model pumps for another company… there is alot of junk out there.

well i think the final diagnosis was that the first walbro i had was bought used. so it could have been a knock off or since it was used the seals may have sat too long before being used again and then the seals in the pump could have rotted a bit or cracked or somthing of that nature, same scenario with the stage 3 pump. when i took it out let it sit for about 4 months then put it back in the seals may have just ceased up or what not. i also read on srt forums that the stage 3 fuel pumps usually only last a couple thousand miles, and from what i understand this car has been stage 3 for about 30-40k miles. so i guess thats just how mopar performance rolls…

conclusion: i am not going to be a cheap ass this time, i have a new walbro 255 going in on monday, brand new from walbro. so this should fix the issue. thanks for any and all help

good call. u will be good for 400hp now and the 255 is only like 100 bucks

Yea 400… I wish :snky:

im just sayin, the 255 is known to max out at that. my buddy wit a gt40r sti maxed his out at 460whp wit 1260cc injectors

If I could get mid 300 whp like 350 on pump ill be happy. Which would mean about 380 100+ octane =)

Ummmmmmm I made 637rwhp on a 255.