Fuel Tank Movement

Okay, so I’ve been looking for a thread like this but I cant find one. Was thinking of cutting my spare tire location out, welding a piece of metal over it, and fitting a bigger fuel tank on my S13, possible/practical or no? I know I’m gonna be ass heavy, but more gas is never a bad idea in my mind.

… why?

why cut up your car for extra liters of fuel?? unless your gonna enter LaMans Endurance races with your 240, it makes no sense!!

yea this makes no sense…most people who take out a fuel tank put in a fuel cell with less gas…the tank is big enough u will get 500k out of it

Because my new rims will not fit a spare in the back >.> no need for it anymore, just wanted to see if you guys thought it was creative or redundant. It’s obviously redundant. Just figured more time between fill ups = convenience.

yea just keep a full size spare sitting in ur trunk…that what i did…then u leave ur jack and ur set of tool where the spare used to be

there is a pocket on the side where the oem jack is kept, i just dont see it worth cutting your trunk cause a rim can fit lol just throw the spare in the trunk or just use the oem doughnut tire anyways and just leave that spare rim in your garage so u dont scratch it up when u throw shit in your trunk, cause it will shift side to side

By the way I’m putting 3 12" Sundown Nightshades in my trunk, think a spare will fit but I don’t know, have yet to fit it with everything in o.o. I don’t know, I’ll decide something. Just wanted to see what people thought of it.

that seems excessive…but its ur car

Just use the OEM spare. It doesn’t matter if its’ not the same size.

exactly but if the oem spare is on the rear just dont drive on it to long and get the tire fixed cause having a OEM spare on one side and a bigger rim on the other can do serious damage to your diff…
a lil FYI

Yeah, that’s why I’m really debating the OEM spare, 'cause I’m going 17 x 10.5 from the stock 15 x 6, with probably a -2.0 or -2.5 degrees of camber. Don’t the the spare would appreciate that much.

The only dimension that matters really is the diameter. The rims size has nothing to do with it. As long as the outer diameter of the tire is somewhat close it won’t matter. Besides, you should only be driving on a spare until you can get to a shop, or home to fix it anyways.

There is nothing to worry about.

this!!! besides a 15 inch rim with a regular tire is very close to a 17 inch rim with a low pro mounted on it … just save your spare and store it!!!

So if my spare tire is a 185/65R15 on a 15 x 6 rim, you’re telling me my 17 x 10.5 with a 225/40R17, which I believe will have a one inch or so stretch on each side, making it closer to a 25-30 sidewall height will be close to the exact same ride? :S That really doesn’t seem possible to me, and I feel like the camber would make the spare even more unhappy.

You’re right, it wont be.

But there is a good chance the 17 with a small tire will be close to the 15 with a big tire, that the spare was designed to work with in the first place.

why would you ride around on a spare for any time?

this thread bamboozled me, I feel like a goof even looking this up after reading the first and seventh comment but:

225/40/17 total height is 24.08 inches
185/65/15 total height is 24.46 inches

if those are the sizes you are working with, your car will sit 0.19" higher in that corner and that output shaft (if you have a rear flat and are too lazy to put a front on the back and then spare on the front to save your diff) will rotate 13 times more per mile! aka basically nothing.

Obviously I’m not a fucking idiot and gonna drive around on a spare for hours thinking I’m fine. Like I said, being stretched that much, it’s gonna be considered a 25 or 30 instead of a 40.

So it will be closer to the size of the doughnut…

so if your not going to drivr for hours on a spare why are u so concerned about the camber ??!! this thread is going around in circles!!

Because I’m sure the camber still will cause problems.