Fuel Tank Problem

apparently S13 Fuel sending units dont like me…

Coles Note version:

• the original fuel sending unit on my car wasnt showing the fuel level on the gas gauge
  • didnt feel like guestimating/relying on my trip meter anymore so i decided to replace it
    -Friday Night: changed it, went well, except when i filled up gas, it was flowing out from the top of the tank, where the sending unit sits.
    -determined i needed a new o-ring, Grabbed a new fuel tank O-Ring (thanks to spd-dmn for the part number) and put it in
    -Saturday: Replaced O-Ring and everything seemingly went well again except with the new O-Ring it STILL leaks.
    Sunday: got some gas resistant sealant (Seal-All) and sealed it all up in hopes that it would stop leaking and the smell would go away. (thanks Keez for the help)

I still smell gas, and i wont know if it leaks till i fill up. can anyone tell me how long typically it takes for the fuel smell to disappear or someone please gimme some advice on what to do…

FYI: Get rid of her and replace the fuel tank have already been considered and only the latter option has seriously been considered

just dont fill all the way up… gas smell will go away in time

you prolly gotta replace those two hoses going to the sending unit…btw gimme the part number for that oring… im driving without 1!

The exact thing is happening to me, right after i put in my walbro, every time i fill it up, like RIGHT up, gas leaks out the top all over the place and it smells like gas hella bad for a while afterwards. i also replaced the o-ring seal, and it didnt work… I have no clue wtf happened, but i’m pretty sure theres no holes in my gas tank/filler neck… if you find a way to solve this let me know. Also, my tank doesn’t build any pressure anymore either.

Junior: yeah i guess i have to avoid that for a while

Mike-240sx: the 2 hoses? you mean the fuel lines? cuz im pretty sure its not coming from the hoses since i took the access plate from the hatch/trunk, and when i rocked the car i saw the fuel splashing out the side of the fuel sending unit. Part number for the O-Ring from nissan is 17342-01A00

danbikes: let you know as soon as i find out. I’m not too sure if my tank even builds pressure anymore either actually but im still kinda noobish so i wouldnt know how to tell

I sincerely hope you boys cleaned up all the rust where the o-ring mates from sender to tank! very common problem. And 60% of the time you don’t need a new o-ring at all.

Clean the rust. Do NOT stretch the o-ring. Sometimes silicone can be an enemy for things like this. Making it stick to stuff you don’t want to. A little bit of syl-glyde(brake lube) or penetrating fluid. I have NEVER had a problem in all my years as a tech.

yea i did try my best to remove the rust from inside the groove, i didn’t sand it or anything however… i think i might try that today and see if it fixes my problem. And no i didn’t use any silicone, i just put a bit of di-electric grease around the o-ring.

Me and Chris (Keez) sanded and metal brushed all the rust off, then put on seal-all gas resistant sealant which is why im confused as to why i still smell gas because it should basically seal it right up, i put it on yesterday at like 2 and didnt leave his place till 8:30pm to let it cure, i havent it filled up gas either since i first discovered the leak as well. so im out of ideas

UPDATE:

according to martino, the seal should hold and the smell will take some time to dissipate so hopefully everything is good, i might go do a fillup and see if it gets anywhere with that hopefully everything will hold and no more leaks cuz this whole issue is giving me a headache, and no its not from the fumes or the smell -_- lols

if the smell still doesn’t go away… roll up all the windows… and light a couple of matches… that should do the trick. lemme know how it goes! :slight_smile:

thanks Jon, Yur as helpful as chemo cancer treatment, helps in someway but still u lose all your hair

lol, put a tank in the thing, jeezzz

LOL i have a backup tank, i used the other gasket maker today and just completely drowned the rim of the sending unit in it, so hopefully that holds, so far its holding on like a champ, we’ll see tomorrow morning how it is after its fully set