Fuel tank/sending unit issues

Hey guys, my old sending unit was leaking and not showing the gas guage properly, so the other day I put another one in with a friend. We put a little bit of sealant stuff around the O ring in order to attempt to give it a nice tight seal.

Right away I noticed gas guage was working properly, it actually showed full when it was full. However, I noticed that it was still leaking (gas tank was wet after driving and the sending unit was too.

So today I thought I would just try to re do it and give it a better seal so it wouldn’t leak, because I wasn’t sure what else to do…

So I take out the unit, put more stuff to seal it or whatever (I think it’s called liquid gasket or something, it’s my freinds…)… and then I close up all teh screws. When I did that, fuel just started coming out of the sending unit (u know those 2 things where you stick the pipes on, it was coming out of the left one. ANd it just kept pouring out, I wasn’t sure wtf to do. I tried plugging it for a while but then when I unplugged it it poured out harder. At this point I also noiced that as the fuel was pouring on my gas tank there were some bubbles. So basically there’s a little leak in the gas tank too… but I still have no idea why the hell fuel jsut arted coming out of there, what caused this??? Why didn’t it happen when I replaced the sending unit before?? Could it be that the tank leak just happened now or is it more likely that it was always there ?

Anyways, I guess I need a new tank…is this a bitch to do or can I do it myself ?

Thanks.

From the way Vadim described it to me…it soudns like that sealant stuff caused a chemical reaction fo some sort with the gasoline and amde the result corrosive, and that melted the bottom of the tank, just as it did to the cup he ut underneath to catch the gas…it burned right thorugh the cup… Im no mechanic of any sort, just my thoughts…

Sorry, after further discussing…it looks liek im almost 100% wrong, somebody step in here and help him out LOL!

PS-
WOOHOO 100!!!

i had an issue like this before… then my fuel pump broke… and my gas tank had a leak… it was in the mechanics for about 2 days with about $1,000 in parts and labor to replace… but that was sending unit… pump… tank and fuel lines…

hell!!!

It seems that there’s ome confusion about what happened, let me try to make it clearer.

I pulled off the fuel lines off the sending unit nipples. Then I took out unit, put a bit of sealent, put unit back in, and right when I tighened the last screw (BEFORE I got a chance to put the fuel lines back on the nippples) gas started pouring out of the left one…and as it poured over the gas tank, I saw it bubbling in a spot (hence the leak).

Soo… what do I do and why did this happen? It never started puring out when I replace it before.

What did I fuck up ?

sounds like an issue from the fuel lines mounted on the sending unit.

If you would like, bring to to my shop and I can have a look at it for you.

call me @ (647) 290-1848 and I can go over it with you.

Sounds like the car is on it’s way out. You might as well sell it before it goes tits up.

I might buy it off you.

before you started, did you pull the fuel pump relay/fuse and crank the engine until it choked out? this relieves the pressure in the system.

:roll: congratulations on 100 useless posts.

They arent ALL useless, that oe was…just to get to 100 lol. But some are useful, liek the oen i told for that guy about DOHC vs. SOHC engines right under this post…check it out.

:roll: congratulations on 100 useless posts.[/quote]

:werd: :rofl:

i did not do that… but i didn’t do it the first time either? thx for the tip tho.

and Matt i’ll give you a call :slight_smile:

Nutta: 5 Gs :wink:

fyi if you need to replace the tank, bring it to gas renew in scarborough…for 100-150 bucks probably(cash) they will put a liner on the isnide of ur tank and on the outside, its better than new