Fun little toy for next season

Technically right now, by definition, I’m a student. Just started going back to school hahaha.

^And now I officially hate you!!! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Did the first couple test fits on the motor today, had to pound a bit of sheet metal to get it in where I wanted it. Looks like there is going to be tons of room to put long tube headers in, which is nice. The power steering line pictured below is the only real issue now in terms of clearance. So I’ll need to bend up a new line to keep that from hitting the oil pan, a 90° block with a new line should solve the issues.

Also started doing mock up on my VK56/Z33 6 Speed adapter plate, have the VK side bolt positions and outer dimensions done. Have the Z33 stuff measured and plotted but as always it changes a bit when you start putting things together, so I’ll need to double and triple check that tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll have a pattern for a final plate this weekend so I can get one machined in the next week or two and put the drive train in. (well, drop it in, and then pull it out, and then drop it back in, and then pull it out, rinse and repeat). :wink:

Oh and finally put the new rear main on and resealed the rear crankcase cover.

You’re going to want to make that adapater plate out of thicker material, just my $0.02cnd

:wink:

Progress looks dope dude.

i think he`s just using it as a template to take to the machine shop

Haha, yes, Dan knows. Hence the :wink:

I want to know how your progress is coming, I don’t see anything on ZT?

LS1 Motor acquired
Z06 Intake Manifold acquired
T56, Clutch, Flywheel, Hydraulics, Shifter acquired
Sikky Kit ordered and will be delivered next week
V88 not far behind

Other than that I just need to buy some new pins and plugs so I can build the V88 harness.

Then, some quick tranny tunnel rapage with a sledge and I’ll be rocking and rolling

Siqqqqqqq. Burnouts.

I’m really digging this car. I saw Chris’s 350z and it sounded, looked and performed amazing. What are some of the difficulties with this swap, aside from tranny and intake manifold (i.e. wiring, etc). Will you be retaining the fuel system from the VQ or going for a full on custom set-up. I know there’s some secrets you wont reveal, but I’d like to find out the gist of the swap ;). Looks good and loving that insane knuckle angle.

I’ll be reusing the stock lines and tank, with a different pump. If you don’t feel like doing a ton of cutting, custom driveshaft, custom shifter setup, custom intake, custom headers, standalone, etc it’s not a swap for you! :wink: I’m personally kicking the engine back as far as possible so I can hopefully use the stock oil pan setup. Two reasons behind this… I still do track days, time attack, and maybe a NASA race (thinking about running once or twice in Super Unlimited depending on budget) or two so I’d like the car to handle like it is supposed to. Also, the stock oil pan casting has passages in it for the oil filter, and pickup and while they would be easy to replace it’s an added complication and fail point I’d rather like to avoid while at the track for the weekend. Especially on a competition weekend! However, moving the engine back means I have to ditch the carbon driveshaft, had to cut back the firewall, stitch up the strut towers, custom trans mount and custom shifter mount, etc, etc. It’s definitely more work but I think it’s worth it for how I would like the car setup. Hope that provides some insight.

Yeah so it’s a very intensive swap. Yikes. Car looks good but that is far beyond my budget or skill level right now. It’s good to see people carrying out swaps like this, especially on SON, I love build threads but there’s not enough on SON. I am subscribing to this thread, and I look forward to it being completed. Kudos to doing something different! Hopefully I’ll see it in person next year if I get my ass to the track. :lol:

Sick, will be watching :smiley: Can’t wait to hear this stuff in action

exhuast…?

1 per cylinder bank for that roar? or Xpipe/tie-in of some sort?

Not exactly sure what I’m going to do exhaust wise. Only thing on the table so far is long tubes, which I bought a set for a Titan and I know I’m gonna have to modify. Probably slice off the shit collectors and maybe put a burns piece on there. Probably end up with an X and a single exit at the rear bumper. I would’ve personally gone side exhaust through the skirt but it’s against the FD/DMCC Rule book :frowning:

Also, Josh just put some video up of me from the DMCC Drivers Search @ Downsview Park
http://ts.vimeo.com.s3.amazonaws.com/340/127/34012706_200.jpg

http://vimeo.com/7716194

Wow, this looks so awesome. Good luck

do another burnout!!! Yeaaaaaaa

did you ever consider going to a dry sump setup for oil? may solve some of yor problems

peace

Of course, but I’m not going to spend $4k+ on a nice oil system. I priced it out when I put together my 944 Turbo track car last time, $4-5k is a ton of coin! I’d rather just do a bit of extra work to make the engine sit further back (better handling) and use the stock pan. It’s really not that big of a deal that I’d consider throwing a dry sump at it. Especially when it’s a motor with stock internals that can easily be replaced.

na, i here ya. dry sump means big coin for most engine setups. it solves a lot of problems though. its funny cause the design is so simple that you would think it should not be so expensive. whatever, good luck with the build. looks like it will be bad ass.

peace

Some Christmas Cheer…

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs121.snc3/16877_1281010716066_1554023596_30736171_2767891_n.jpg

Just holding the headlight up there so you know what’s going on :wink:

Front suspension is also done, and we’re starting the new vinyl livery on Sunday or Monday after the ClubLoose banquet. So more photos soon!