FWD Clutch Opinions

My clutch shit the bed Friday night at PRP after a couple of passes. I’m wondering what brand of clutch some of the FWD guys run on here.

You’re not going to find too many Beretta guys on here… Try beretta.net forums. A lot of those guys like the Spec clutches.

I know, but I want to see what some of the import guys run also.

I prefer ACT if you are going to be hard on it, otherwise Exedy makes great inexpensive clutches. I’ve heard of (but never experienced personally) issues with Competiton Clutch, and Centerforce. I’m excluding some of the higher end companies like OS Giken, Tilton, and the like…because I’m pretty sure they have no application for your car.

I have ran a act 6 puck unsprung with over 600whp and took it out and it still looks decent.
back in 2005 i picked up an exedy stage 1 clutch for my hatchback and daily drivin it all motor. then to boost 260whp daily drivin for a year. then it went to my g/f’s car she learned how to drive a stick on it. and its still in there 3 years later. it is a beast of a clutch too.

i heard bad things about centerforce. A buddy used a competition clutch in is VW VR6-T and a act would not hold the power where the ACT did.

What kind of power are you putting down?

The aftermarket for the Beretta is terrible. For the quad I think there are only a handful of options clutch-wise.

I never had it dyno’d, but using one of those online dyno calcs: using my weight, et, and trap speed, it comes out to approx. 191 hp. Like 4doors5gears posted aftermarket for this car is fairly bad. ACT doesn’t have a listing, Exedy does, but I’m sure I’ll have to wait a week or so to get it. Summit has Centerforce in stock, and can be shipped today, but as posted I also heard good and bad about CF.

What all is done to the car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-92-CAVALIER-Z24-BERETTA-GT-2-8L-3-1L-STAGE-3-CLUTCH_W0QQitemZ180269681197QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

boom done.

i’ve had to have done at least 3 or 4 of these cheapo ebay clutches… and they have all turned out to be fantastic. Its crazy, but i’m proof.

It's stock minus some Oldsmobile W41 factory parts.

thats cool that this clutch worked out for you,
but I had an ebay one like this in my 91 laser fwd before I Knew any better …and it was the most terrible peice of junk that I ever put in the car. The puck style clutch engaged violently (impossible to slip) spinning the tires making the car hard to drive.

Do yourself a favor and try to find a street disk for the car.

I use ACT.

After thinking about it last night I’m just going to throw in a stock replacement clutch and sell it. I’ve owned it for almost 10 years now and I think it’s time for something else. The Quad4 makes decent power for a n/a 4 cylinder but reliability and the aftermarket for it isn’t any good.

^^^This is probably the best option.

hey… its not my fault you dont know how to drive a stick :finger:

my first celica alltrac i had an UNsprung act HD 4puck in. If you pulled out slow, it would give you a bump-bump and then you’d be off… i still think though my left leg is bigger than my right b/c of that thing!

Brilliant! good luck

I wouldn’t even put the clutch in. I’d just call up roberts auto body, collect the $100, and be done with it. :smiley:

Na, that would be too easy. I have to let this thing torment me one last time.:rolleyes:

…cute,
:rolleyes:
, I’ll take your word for it, but keep in mind,

Fwd and AWD cars are diffrent… he was asking about a FWD…

the SPRUNG sixpuck ebay clutch that I had was totally unbearable on the street, and would not allow itself to slip, it was either engaged or not engaged, no inbetween, which really dosent make for a good clutch.

the street disks that i have used from centerforce and ACT, were streetable and also held the power for 30,000 miles before they were changed out under routine maintence .

it does sound like he is on the right track oem and then selling the car.

fuck SPEC clutches, im on my third one in two years.