FYI: HSBC Online-Only Savings 4.25% APY

Just thought I’d share. I never bothered looking at HSBC savings accounts until this afternoon and was fairly surprised to find that if you open an online-only savings account it’s currently a 4.25% APY. No fees, $1 dollar minimum balance. With no risk and no fees, it seems like a decent way to stash some cash before you spend it.

http://www.hsbcdirect.com/1/2/1/

so, if you put $5,000 in that account… how much intrest would you make in a year?

It was as high as 5.5% at one point.

$5000 * .0425 = $212.50

I opened an account today just as a way to get some cash out of my hands before I can find a way to make it go away with nothing to show for it. On top of that, 4.25% is a pretty good annual return for no risk and free access any time I need it.

i joined in when it was 5.0 ish but i keep getting emails stating they are lowering it because of changes made by the federal reserve

ummm… most savings account compound daily, not annually.

So, $217.07

and, 4.75% > 4.25% :fyi:

Pricing
No minimum balance, no monthly service fee
$1 per withdrawal in excess of 4 per month

Other Features and Services
Free M&T Web Banking
Free account access at over 1,600 M&T Bank ATMs2
Four free withdrawals, including telephone transfers, per month
Plus - Direct Deposit, Electronic Statements, Easy Save
This product is not available for non-personal accounts

Interest Rates
Interest is compounded daily and paid monthly.

M&T Bank online savings is not an intro rate… from personal experience

ya, I got it when it was up at 5.5%, but read the fine print, it is an introductory offer and goes back down to fuck, I can not find the rate on my last statement

I’m still rocking the emigrant direct at 4.65% today.

I thought that 4.25% APY meant 4.25% compouned annually?

APY is a disclosure statement.

APY = the rate of interest earned through compounding if you leave all interest accrual in the account.
APR = annual percentage rate, if you were to withdraw your interest earning when paid (monthly).

edit- here, http://banking.about.com/od/savings/a/apy.htm

In the example I’ve used, you’ll find that the APY is 6.183%. In other words, if you get 6% annually with daily compounding, your APY = 6.183. Try changing the compounding frequency and you’ll get an idea of how the APY changes. For example, you might show quarterly compounding (4 times per year) or the unfortunate 1 payment per year (which just results in a 6% APY).

for example, with the M&T Bank 4.75% APY I posted,they state APR is 4.63%.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks!

yea, was going to say it used to be a lot better it has come down a lot in the recent credit suckyness.

Sure was. I’ve had one of these accounts for almost 2 years now and have earned some decent interest.

yep… M&T’s rate is not introductory

M&T FTW

M&T = the suck

lolz.

this is one of the very few consumer products that they’ve gotten right. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. Old news. Glad to see Nikuk laying the smack down though.

FYI, FNBO ( www.fnbodirect.com ) is @ 5.05% APY currently. Not introductory, no minimum.

I currently carry both an FNBO act and another ING act (guess where most of the money is)

You an easily convert APY to APR and vice versa using the EFFECT and NOMINAL functions in Excel. The bank is going to print whichever is more appealing visually to the consumer. It is the same in terms of your money though, just different ways to write it

Tomato, tomato