FYI: Version 3 - multi-link (changes / warranty / Install)

Alright, i got my camera back and snapped some pics to update the status of some of the multi-link arms.

for anyone who owns or is thinking of owning these arms please read this post in its entirety.

firstly, let me remind everyone that there are many many people who have been running bings multi-link on thier cars for upwards of 2 years now.

over the course of that time i’ve been taking feedback and constantly trying to improve the products in areas where users thought they were lacking or in areas i thought they were lacking.

there have been major changes to the Toe and Traction arms in recent months.

they now look like this:

http://bings.ca/images/brackets%204.JPG

http://bings.ca/images/brackets%203.JPG

The sleeves are 6061 aluminum, anodized in gold. It was getting too difficult and expensive to continue with the powder coated steel arms.

I am sure everyone will agree that these arms are far more attractive, less weight and easier to use what with being swedged in the centre and having milled flats at the ends.

An even more important change is the bracket end that bolts on to the hub.

Instead of powder coated chromoly steel we have gone with T-304 stainless brackets that are hand polished to a nice finish.

Obviously i am trying to get away from powder coating because i have not been happy with the inconveniences it has caused. what’s more is that the polished stainless is just way more attractive as well as being stronger.

to date, we have had only one single non-accident related failure with the prevous generation of bracket ends. Haig Kanadjain, one of Canada’s top drivers in Drift Mania noticed that the powder coated brackets on his traction rods were beginning to show signs of fatigue after hundreds of hours on the track.

fortunately we had already developed the new version and we upgraded Haig’s bracket ends to the new stainless ones at the DM event in Ontario a few weeks back.

There have not been any issues reported by anyone else, but that isnt really an excuse.

As a result, I will be extending the warranty on the powder coated bracket ends beyond the ONE YEAR warranty i currently offer. The warranty will continue indefinately on these particular parts.

i encourage anyone who has these arms to give a quick inspection every now and again and if they notice anything strange to please contact me so we can work out the upgrade.

many people will find that they do not require the upgrade, particularly people that dont drive extremely aggressively. However, if you have been using these arms for a full year already and at some point next year you notice that the powder coated bracket appears to show signs of fatigue, you will still be able to warranty them even though the one year warranty period as elapsed.

Of course, as mentioned in the warranty policy here:

http://www.bings.ca/index.php?page=subsection&parent=1&child=3

warranties are not transferrable to subsequent owners and warranties are voided due to accident.

however, there have been people who have been involved in accidents who have come to me wanting to replace just the pieces of their arms that were damaged. I am happy to accomodate.

Should you find yourself in this scenerio i will provide you with the necessary components and a price that is superior to retail. by that i mean i will sell the individual components of the arms at prices that add up to much less than the retail price of the arms.

i believe the last person to upgrade paid only $25 per bracket end following an accident that damaged their arms.

This of course is preferrable compared to owning other brands of arms and having to buy whole new arms after you break on piece.

here are more pics of the new bracket ends:

http://bings.ca/images/brackets%201.JPG

and one final pics that was the best i could get today.

http://bings.ca/images/brackets%202.JPG

please remember these components are 100% fabricated in Canada by professional race-fabrication facilities.

INSTALL:

apparently there is some variability in the thickness of the factory bushings that are hugged by the bracket end of the toe and traction arms.

Chris (canadiandrifter240sx) installed his toe and traction arms and they were almost too snug where as others reported no issues and others have stated that the bracket ends were too wide.

obviously i wont be asking you to take a measurement of the bushings on your spindle but i ask that if you find that your bracket ends are too wide, please do not bolt them in and bend the bracket in. Instead, use a washer to take up the gap, if any.

the brackets are pre-bent, all to the same spec by the same machine.

This generation is looking really good Bing.

I should have used a tiny tiny spacer on mine when I did the insatll because they were definitely a bit too wide on my car.

I haven’t even done so much as torque them properly yet, let alone drive on them… before I do I’ll be sure to put a washer in there to keep them straight and snug. Good call on that

yeah it is really strange… i compared all the brackets i have and they are all visually the same spec, sure my eyes are not a micrometer but there is no way that the difference is enough such that people are having to either open them up or bend them in… something fishy there…

sob, those are sick, i will be definitly getting those when i store my car in winter. .so by spring comes, the car is ready to take those nasty bumps in toronto.
my passenger toe arm snapped while i was driving to pick up jdmpanda from his house. good thing i was heading to ped’s parts car, and he was kind enough to help remove and install his on for free.

$175 is for a pair right? just to make sure.
and when are the T/C rods and tie rods in and out be avaiable, bing?

also, i found that…because of the bushings on the spindle are all different, peds didn’t fit into mine that well, where as mine was a perfect fit. i’ll say its that pastic or metal insert is causing the problem. as some are more worned out than others…

??

TC rods will be developed in the off-season.

Bahaha - Bingzors - nice closing thought on your Warrenty page…ahaha.

hahaha…

shhhhhhhhhhh

Bingx0r,
I noticed you are offering your TC rods with Seals-It rod end seals.

Any chance you are able to sell those separately to put on my old ver3 rear multilinks?

A few questions for you, maybe others who have these can answer aswell.

Considering these are Canadian Made, how resistant are they to winter weather? have you had or heard of any issues caused by winter weather? or, do people just take these off if they plan to drive their 240 through the winter?

Thanks

http://www.joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/PIX/FR/can_of_worms.jpg

Pipe down over there Theo. Otherwise I’ll open up my own can. I’m not going to tell you what’s in it but I will say that it has a whole lot more whoop ass in it than yours does.

as mentioned in another thread there are several people that have been using my arms for upwards of 3 and a half years now.

i know of at least one guy on this forum who has used his RUCAs through 2 straight winters. he recently bought a new set of rod ends because his were making noise, but i should also note that the rod ends he had were the previous non-sealed rod ends.

there are a variety of other people running it but very few people send me feedback.

my arms are one of the ONLY arms you can find (toe and traction arms) that are made of 304 stainless steel for the clevis end… most other brands are mild steel with a rust coating… that is usually fine except even the best of coatings gets the shit kicked out of them after a while… that is the only weekness of the RUCA is that powder coating is only so strong… but hten again, pretty much all RUCA’s are mild steel under their coating.

John,

your rod ends, as i have mentioned many times over in various arguements with people who have no clue about rod ends, are self-sealing rod ends that do not require rod end seals.

in fact, you cant really use rod end seals anyays, rod end seals are made for non-sealed high misalignment rod ends.

http://bings.ca/images/multi%20link/new%20rod%20ends2.JPG

the two arms on the left in that image have the high mislignment rod ends on them… they are not self sealing.

the two arms on the right have the self sealing rod ends that you have on your arms john.

the lining that is pressed in is designed specifically to prevent things like sand, dirt and other grit from getting into the race. It was designed more specifically for dirt track and other sprint car racing… trying to add a rod end seal will be of no benefit to you…

fair enough, thanks for the clarification bing.

What do you recommend as far as upkeep of the ends? I used white grease on mine just to help protect them and make it easy to clean the grime off of them. Is there anything I can do to help keep the rod ends in good shape?

dont drive the car… ever…

you’ve been doing a great job and so have i

it’s true - i have done a great job of keeping mine in good shape. I was checking them out the other day and they’re holding surprisingly well

They’ve been installed for a full year now and they look like they’ve never been used!

mine lasted through 2 winters and its daily(literal) driven fine so far… and lasted 2 track days last summer

I have bings ruca’s and just got a set of toe arms, now buying traction arms and I love the quality of the stuff. To tell you the truth fitment was 98% but like any aftermarket part you buy wont always be 100%. Id rather buy from bing instead of on ebay because I know she is a respected member of the community and always comes through. And I get my shit the next day, pretty good for being 4 hrs away. :smiley:

and i refund when you over pay…

???

its a 'man’gina…

i’m oooold greeggg