G1 Phone review vs iPhone

Wow. Went to T-Mo and really upset with this phone and the hype it got. I am suprised that this is the phone that Google is promoting as their pilot device for the Android platform.

Ya. The platform is awesome and runs on any device. I wish that Apple allowed people to recode any part of the iPhone OS like you can in Android but the phone looks cheap and clunky. They said the pictures do not to it justice but IMO it does.

A really poor showing for a “iPhone Killer”. There is future in this but I am more shocked than anything that THIS is the initial device.

Ugh… I guess im just gonna have to see it on my own. I really like HTC though so I bet im gonna like it.

Any flaws you see in the software?

Na software is impressive. No native exchange support which kind of limits rush buyers from enterprises but its pretty cool looking. Looking forward to seeing how long before developers get the new additions pushed out and how fluid that goes.

I just hate the G1 phone look itself.

there was a review on the device on G4, they loved the OS bigtime and liked the phone itself a lot. Seems like a decent device, now for verizon to get an android device… no such luck though.

So im reading on all the forums that the battery is absolutely horrid… Everyone seems to like the software and a lot even like the hardware but EVERYONE has complaints about the battery life.

This makes sense to me seeing my last HTC phone that only ran WM 5.0 absolutely sucked on battery life too.

People are saying that if you make it through a few charge cycles, that the battery problem irons itself out a little bit… is there such a thing as that???

I’ve seen batteries hold more charge after a few cycles but its not always the case. Plus…people always say the battery life sucks on new phones since they are constantly using them :slight_smile:

Didn’t Verizon say they will allow any device now on their network?

Ya any smartphone now sucks battery life, esp if they use 3G. Granted, if you turn off the 3G data, lower the back light, and keep the screen off most of the time, you can get decent use out of it. I noticed it on mine becuase I constantly have the screen on texting, emailing, or doing something so it wears it out by the end of the work day. If I keep it off and use it only as a cell phone when I travel, I can get a full day out of it.

Yeah but that kinda defeats the purpose… I know MOST dataphones suck in the battery department but what about BB’s…

Well you gotta think the iPhone has various chips it powers compared to a mid range blackberry. Using the iPhone is using more power but if you look at the specs:

BB Storm:
Standby Time: 360 hours
Talk Time: 5.5 hours

iPhone:
Standby Time: 300 hours
Talk Time: 10 hours on 2G, 5 hours on 3G

So they are pretty similar. Today on the iPhone, I talked about 2 1/2 hours and have my email pushing and also doing 15 min syncs to Gmail and I am at 65% battery. As long as I can get through about 12 hours I am happy of mid-heavy use. Talking on it obviously is easier on the battery than keeping it on and playing a game or watching YouTube videos.

Update here guys…

I just bought this phone and let me tell you. The android software is unbelievable. Some of the stuff you can do with it is so powerful that I understand why the battery does not last long. Luckily TMO is going to be offering a free extended battery in the early spring.

Not only that, but after I stated my concern of the battery with the salesman, he threw in an extra home charger and a free car charger.

I know I may get flamed to hell but this phone is nicer than the IPhone. Not by too much but it is.

The only complaint I have is the hardware but I am getign used to it already and I have only had it for a few hours now.

On what grounds is it better than the iPhone? The form factor is pretty much opinion based. The software is cool but lacking features, mostly exchange support (big if you want to get into enterprise) and yes, I know this can be added by any coder, and its on a really poor cell phone network.

There is no crazy for this phone and with reason.

Idk when you used it, but there are soooo many apps at this point in time. The 3rd part apps seem to work seamlessly.

The forums are saying there is already a developer creating a flash player, and that exchange will be available for all providers by years end.

I have spent countless hours on an IPhone (although I have never owned) and I will say this android software is far superior. (and that is just based on it in its infant stages and with only limited apps available so far.

If you want to create any beef with the phone, it would have to be based soley on the hardware but as a past HTC user, imho, this phone takes the cake over the IPhone. I will give you that TMO is the worst provider of the big 4… but if we are talking phone vs phone… the G1 squeaks by.

I guess what im getting at is android>apple software hands down imho. But I still perfer the G1 over the Iphone

Ya I love the design of the iPhone. I am not a fan of the slide out keyboard and the overall casing of the G1. Also, I think 16GB is a perfect amount of storage space. I like music but I don’t need 80GB on my phone but 8GB is way to small for movies and stuff.

Software wise tho I am intrested to see how many developers make the shift to Android since they are more open with apps than Apple. There is so much power in both the phone OS’s but Apple not allowing people to change aspects or write competing applications is really a downside to the phone unless you jailbreak it.

The new firmware 2.2 is coming out in a few weeks which already is noted to include street view so hopefully they make some other cool additions that keep up. Opening up the SDK to allow developers to use any object on the phone is something they need to do however, I am somewhat torn between the security issue of any developer coding an app that can access my phone book or location.

That was my only fear I guess, but there is an authorization process fwiw to become a developer so maybe that could weed out some bad hats. More or less, I wont be using mine for business so I dont really have anything of importance on mine, but this is something they will have to take note to as they add exchange and more business driven apps to the phone.

Realistically though, Blackberry is such a rock solid business use phone, that I feel a lot of companies would be hesitant to ever make the jump from them anyways.

Realistially now with teh availbility of more and more phones, what benefit does blackberry have over the iPhone, BlackJackII, etc for the enterprise if companies are moving to exchange. Doesn’t BB need a server to work in a corporate environment or is that only to allow a push email for any email server system? Seems simple push protocols like Exchange being available and more popular in the enterprise, BB may have run its course.