G1 Phone review vs iPhone

Pretty good technical read that takes the pros and cons for both the iPhone and Gphone that was released recently.

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/10/tmobiles_g1_with_google_is_no_iphone_but_its_1.html

the fact that it will run on more than one handset makes this a really attractive alternative to an iphone. Hopefully that wont kill it though.

Are they keeping it open source? (I seem to remember reading at one point that it was)

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/WindowsLiveWriter/TheAndroidhaslanded_BDE8/g1_thumb.jpg

the time is incorrect.

I think so. They keep removing parts of it but I think the version now is open source. I really like how anyone can write applications to interact and replace with ANY part of the phone so if a feature isnt there, nothing stops someone from writing it in. I was shocked that there was no exchange support tho.

lol other than the hands looking the wrong size?

I cant believe it, but I think I just found a reason to extend my T-Mobile contract.

I will have to see who is making software for this but if you can get torrents, file share and flash on this bitch… there is no way anyone will be able to compete…

Oh yeah and it only costs $189

I am not at all. Exchange support is fairly new to linux in general. Evolution is the only client to support it, and it is still not that good.

I have one, and coming from an iphone it’s definitely different. It is better than the iphone in some ways, but in other areas I miss my iphone…

I’d elaborate but I’m at work and not supposed to be online ha

THE GPHONE SUCKS.

A LOT.

I just went to the Tmobile store and played with the demo. It feels cheap and flimsy. Nothing like the iPhone.

Wow they said in a lot of reviews that the pictures didn’t do it justice but I agree. I like the concept of the OS but I hate this phone as their pilot phone.

Android has promise. I’d like to see where it’s at a year from now. It’ll probably be really good and have a whole crap load of devices to get it with. The G1 just looks so awful to me. I like how in the review the guy says that Android is “miles ahead” of RIM. That’s funny.

Oh and no Exchange support kills that phone/OS for me. I need Exchange access. Looks like I’m still getting my BlackBerry Storm next month. :slight_smile:

Well… I would bet that would be one of the first applications to be added!

heh, I wonder how long it takes someone to port it over to the iphone :smiley:

you’ll get the best of both worlds

Android has promise, the G1, not so much. Crappy “first try” in my eyes

+1

the device seems to blow but andriod is still such a great concept. Hopefully it wont take long before it is on more handsets with more providers.

Ugghh, so I think I found the one store in Buffalo that still has the G1 is stock (the white looks a lot nicer than the black btw). I think im gonna make the plunge and sign another 2 year contract with T-Mobile although I vowed that I would never again.

Buffalo is supposed to be getting 3G in February…

Someone tell me why I should or should not buy this today…

should: Android

Should not: looks cheap

this is the classic 1990 DSM with 700hp, vs a Lamborghini Murciélago.

See… The only thing I love about HTC is the hardware so to me, I completely love and understand everything they did hardware wise.

My only two concerns is battery life, and as to if the android software will actually hold up and remain as good as it looks.